RBC Capital Partners (“RBCP”) is the venture capital and private equity (“VC/PE”) investment platform of RBC. This includes both direct and 3rd party managed fund investments. In this position you will work on RBC’s VC activities and support related initiatives, as needed, for other business/functional units.
The position is fully accountable to the Managing Director, RBC Capital Partners for successful achievement of agreed upon goals and objectives, driving a high level of performance, operational effectiveness, and sustainable value creation for RBC shareholders. This includes taking a proactive approach to ensure all control requirements are monitored and adhered to on behalf of the business/functional unit.
What will you do?
You are responsible to the Managing Director, RBC Capital Partners on all matters related to the venture capital portfolio. Your focus will be on our venture capital activities in support of RBC’s strategic innovation priorities:
Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities.
Interact with RBC business units and ecosystem teams to ensure a high level understanding of their strategic focus and areas where a venture investment may be appropriate
Deal screening: call and/or meet with prospects, evaluate opportunities
Network with peers in other VC Firms and generally in the Toronto start up community. Build a relationship with VC Funds in which RBC is an LP to understand their portfolio and pipeline where possible
Lead investment due diligence related to potential investments including:
- Gathering information from the target company and industry experts.
- Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company.
- Research potential competitors to the target company.
- Research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology including IP.
- Conduct background checks on the current management of the target company.
- Perform valuation analysis (financial modelling or other techniques as applicable).
- Preparation of internal investment memos.
Investment management with possibility of board or observer roles
What do you need to succeed?
- 3-4 years of direct investing venture capital experience with a solid understanding of due diligence practices and investment structuring
- Strong understanding of Information Technology concepts and practices with a bias towards data analytics/management and/or AI
- Entrepreneurial attitude and interest in working with seed and early stage companies
- Solid understanding of business and financial concepts
- B. Eng., CFA, and/or MBA preferred and/or equivalent experience.
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated. Strong written and oral communication/presentation skills
- Good financial modelling skills. Advanced skills with Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience in one of Capital Markets, Investment Banking, Accounting or Management Consulting.
What’s in it for you?
- We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- A world-class training program in financial services
If interested, please apply here.