A career at Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 53,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Your role: Join our Healthcare Venture Fund, a well-established evergreen investment fund with an initial capacity of EURO 150million, serving the strategic needs of our Healthcare division. The fund is part of our strategic corporate venture capital fund, which has grown to EUR 300 million and includes dedicated Life Science, Performance Material and New Businesses funds. Healthcare currently has a portfolio of 24 investee companies. You will be located at our offices in Amsterdam, within a passionate team with an entrepreneurial & future-oriented mindset. You will identify investment opportunities in companies that may have future strategic and financial value for our Healthcare division, with the objective of creating a valuable future asset base. You will manage the due diligence, investment and approval process for new and follow-on investments, execute or support other transactions such as spin-offs. You will negotiate equity investments in strategic assets on a global basis with responsibility and accountability for deal structure, deal terms, and appropriate communication to and alignment with all internal and external stakeholders. This role involves taking responsibility for selected Board and Board observer positions within our portfolio companies to actively pursue our objectives, as well as to manage the value of our holdings. Your role also consists of representing the Venture Fund at international investors’ summits and other relevant industry events. You will also act as a mentor and a coach for less experienced team members.
Who you are:
- You have startup experience: C level or significant leadership role is a benefit
- You completed a PhD or have equivalent expertise in a relevant field (healthcare-related)
- You have at least 4 years expertise in VC, investment banking, or private equity environment in a role with similar responsibilities
- Your English is fluent
- You have strong interpersonal and intercultural skills, ability to lead cross functional international project teams and present to senior management
- You have strong communication skills, ability to communicate efficiently both written and orally
- You are willing to travel 30 to 60% depending on project load
What we offer: At Merck, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
If interested, please apply here