Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Property Rights Team:
Omidyar Network’s Property Rights Initiative works to deploy transformative change to enable people to have more secure rights to businesses, homes and property. Our sector-based approach concentrates on innovation, prop tech, incubators, geospatial technology and independent media. Based in the U.S. and India, the Property Rights team works collaboratively to address key property rights challenges through a combination of for-profit and non-profit investments in innovative organizations. We seek investments that have the potential to be highly disruptive and we fund cutting edge research to fill knowledge gaps and inform decision-making. We believe that the private sector has a meaningful role to play in developing solutions that support widespread economic development, and seek investments that bridge the gap between communities, civil society, and business interests. More at: https://www.omidyar.com/our-work/property-rights.
Based in Washington, DC, this position falls within ON’s Property Rights initiative and reports to the Venture Partner, Property Rights. The Property Rights Investment Analyst/Associate is primarily responsible for reviewing prospective business plans, performing due diligence and competitive analysis, building a healthy pipeline and portfolio of property rights organizations (for for-profit and non-profit investments), and supporting the property rights team’s efforts in managing the portfolio of investments and activities.
- Help the team in scoping high impact property rights investment opportunities;
- Review and analyze business plans and financial models for property rights investments in the US and emerging markets;
- Support due diligence efforts for prospective investments and grants;
- Support deal execution – develop investment thesis, conduct financial analysis and prepare investment memoranda;
- Work closely with investees on strategic aspects to help them scale successfully, achieve their financial targets and impact potential;
- Monitor performance of investees;
- Prepare financial reports;
- Contribute to periodic reviews of the property rights initiative’s strategy;
- Conduct market research and keep current with industry trends;
- Develop strategic property rights sector relationships to identify potential areas of collaboration and to build a pipeline of potential investment leads;
- Collaborate internally to advance ON strategy and mission and support leadership of the Property Rights initiative on a variety of projects and analysis, as necessary
- Intellectual curiosity about and/or direct experience working in the property rights sector;
- Deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission, initiative areas, and cross-cutting themes (e.g., impact investing, entrepreneurship);
- MBA plus 2-6 years of experience at management consulting firm, investment bank, technology firm or other corporate setting conducting company evaluations and financial analysis;
- Ability to evaluate proposed opportunities from multiple perspectives (strategic fit, expected impact, market opportunity, operational capability, business model, financial performance, valuation, etc.);
- Sound knowledge of investment execution (sourcing, analyzing, teeing up for decision-making, negotiating, documenting, closing, etc.);
- Exceptional analytical skills, first rate excel modeling and deal evaluation skills;
- Strong strategic and critical thinking and excellent written and verbal communication skills, resourcefulness, sound judgment, and ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with employees around the globe;
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability including ability to work both independently and as part of a global team;
- Creative and independent self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, and strong team player.
If interested, please apply here.