JOB DESCRIPTION – Associate, Kickstart Seed Fund
Kickstart Seed Fund is seeking an associate to be a member of the investment team and support the operational activities of the firm. Candidates who apply should have a passion for early-stage technology and small startups, either demonstrated professionally (through career choices) or personally (through academic studies, side projects, school club involvement, or other strong indications of interest in the space). This is a permanent position with the opportunity for promotion and advancement within the fund.
Kickstart Seed Fund is a seed-stage venture capital firm based in Salt Lake City, UT. Kickstart Seed Fund’s mission is to fuel the best companies in Utah and the Mountain West by providing smart capital, a connected community and expert guidance. Since raising its first fund in 2008, Kickstart has invested in more than 100 companies. Kickstart is now investing out of its 4 th fund. For more information, visit http://www.kickstartseedfund.com .
- Manage the due diligence process: Evaluate assigned investment opportunities (by assessing the management team, conducting market/competitive research, investigating product/technology risks, determining paths-to-exit, analyzing financial statements and other company data, and building internal investment models), write investment memos, and assist in closing deals.
- Assist with fund management: Support the partnership in monitoring fund performance, analyzing follow-on investment decisions, and preparing communications with the firm’s limited partners (including dashboards, quarterly reports, etc.).
- Help portfolio companies run smoothly: Assist management teams within the portfolio with the various challenges they are encountering; help facilitate and structure follow-on financings and exits. Selected opportunities to sit on boards of Kickstart-funded companies will be included in this part of the role.
- Support the operational activities of the firm: Participate in weekly meetings with the partnership, assist with fund-sponsored events in the community, and provide support on ad-hoc requests (e.g., running internal fund analytics, preparing for meetings, etc.).
- Identify prospective deals: Network and build relationships in the local entrepreneurial ecosystem, identify prospective investments, review pitch decks, question and provide advice to entrepreneurs when they pitch to the firm, and help determine whether to perform further due diligence after the initial pitch.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of work experience in management consulting, investment banking, private equity, venture capital, or entrepreneurship (though the firm will consider exceptional candidates with other backgrounds)
- Analytical prowess (both quantitative and qualitative) and intellectual horsepower to drive quickly from ambiguity to insight
- Proactive self-starter, able to get up-to-speed quickly and work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and ability to engender trust
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High proficiency with Excel, including experience with financial modeling
- Positive, entrepreneurial, low-ego, can-do attitude and an eagerness to learn and contribute
- Comfortable working on multiple assignments simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
LOCATION Salt Lake City, UT
START DATE As soon as possible
If interested, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org