Juxtapose (LinkedIn) is a hybrid early-stage venture fund and holding company with a unique mandate to both found and fund category-defining businesses.
Every portfolio company Juxtapose builds is the direct result of a concept development cycle — a structured process by which we develop venture theses and vet their potential for investment. With three portfolio companies launched and a fourth in development, we are looking for an investment associate to join our concept development team in New York and help scale our efforts.
WHO WE LOOK FOR AND WHAT YOU WILL DO
The associate will act as a principal investigator in our ideation process, authoring compelling theses and shaping the team’s perspective on opportunities across a variety of spaces. You will be working alongside the head of concept development and the greater Juxtapose team to drive the ultimate investment decision each cycle on what we build and how we build.
In a given cycle (typically 6 months in duration), you will gain exposure to a range of functions, including digital product development and prototyping, user research, and growth marketing, among others. You will also have opportunities to work with the founding management teams of Juxtapose’s portfolio companies (to date, the management teams comprise individuals who previously served as c-level executives and VPs of product, marketing, strategy, and operations at firms including Jet.com, Bonobos, CommonBond, 1stdibs, Yodle – collectively have raised over $1B of venture funding). Ultimately your logic, creativity, and hustle will determine an initial multimillion dollar venture investment (and the founding of a new business), and pave the way for double digit million dollar investments over time.
The role could also be seen as a venture gap year (one that would last 18 months+) – a great fit if you’re a couple years away from grad school, transitioning into VC, or looking to take on an operational role at an early-stage startup.
In practice, the role will require:
- Rigorous research utilizing a range of primary and secondary sources (e.g. public financial disclosures, secondary reports, user and expert interviews, relevant domain journalism, regulatory filings, etc.)
- An ability to toggle between levels – comfortable with high-level conceptual thinking but especially adept at navigating low-level granular details (appreciation for getting in the weeds)
- Clear written and verbal communication across different, senior constituents, including: Juxtapose team members and managing partners, portfolio company executives, and potential C-level co-founders
- Day-to-day interest in data sourcing, analysis, and back-of-the-envelope modeling, in addition to conducting user and expert interviews
- Passion for both right-brain and left-brain activity
- 2-5 years of work experience
- Commercial analysis experience from a principal investing role, public equity research, investment banking, or management consulting (private equity practice)
- Prior operating experience at a high-growth technology company or startup a plus
- A strong academic record (or alternatively a truly terrible one)
HOW TO APPLY
Send a brief email with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line JXP Investment Associate.