Correlation Ventures, with over $360M assets under management, has pioneered the use of predictive analytics in the venture capital industry. The firm is investing out of its second fund, which was oversubscribed at $200M and closed in 2016. The firm leverages world class analytics to offer entrepreneurs and other venture capitalists a dramatically better option when they are seeking additional capital to complete a financing round. For example, the firm makes investment decisions in two weeks or less. The firm invests across all industry segments, U.S. geographies and investment stages — from seed through late stage. Currently, the firm manages a portfolio of over 150 companies and has co-invested with over 200 different venture capital firms, including virtually all of the VC industry’s top tier funds and many excellent smaller up-and-coming firms. Selected life sciences portfolio companies include: AirXpanders, CareWell, Galera, Gynesonics, Spirox, Synthorx, and Trefoil. Other non-life sciences portfolio companies include: AlienVault, Bluevine Capital, Casper, Optimizely, Personal Capital, Sun Basket, and Upstart. The firm’s limited partners include leading endowments, foundations, pensions, family offices, and high-net-worth individuals, including over 30 venture capital peers who invested personally. The firm currently has offices in San Francisco, New York, and San Diego.
The individual hired for this role will be the firm’s first employee in the Boston area and the first Associate with a primary (although not exclusive) focus on life sciences.
- Existing network of relationships in the life science VC and/or entrepreneurial communities within the Boston area and ideally nationally
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a relatively independent position (i.e., highly self-motivated).
- Experience(s) or skill(s) of potential value to early stage venture-funded life science companies, such as a particular set of relationships, technical skill, or operational experience
- Thrives in a start-up type environment, where each individual is critical and often asked to wear many hats
- Excellent professional networking abilities
- Strong verbal and writing skills, and the demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels from the CEO to individual contributors
- Exceptional organizational skills, productivity and ability to juggle multiple projects
- Strong attention to detail and insistence on accurate, high-quality deliverables
- Flexibility, gets along well with colleagues, customers, and business partners
- Highly comfortable and proficient with MS office applications (in particular Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and ideally CRM systems such as Salesforce or ACT!Experience/Education:
- College degree – BA or BS degree from top college or university with demonstrated strong academic performance
- 4+ years of work experience in a high-performing professional work environment preferred, ideally within a life science or healthcare related field.Responsibilities:
- Work with Managing Directors, other team members and advisors, and independently to source new investment opportunities for the firm. The primary areas of focus for this role will be (1) sourcing life science opportunities nationally, and (2) sourcing opportunities, regardless of industry sector, within the Boston and surrounding geographic areas.
- Build, grow and maintain collaborative relationships with peers at other venture capital firms.
- Vet investment opportunities to ensure they pass certain minimum criteria.
- Participate in evaluation of investment opportunities, including gathering due diligence materials, extracting data from business plans, term sheets, legal documents, etc. for the evaluation process and entering the data on prospects in the firm’s proprietary analytical framework.
- Prepare draft investment recommendation documents summarizing the investment thesis for and due diligence on an investment opportunity.
- Assist Managing Directors and team in virtually all aspects of the firm’s sourcing activities including:o Designing and executing sourcing campaigns targeted at specific indstry sectors or U.S. geographies;
o Identifying prospective investment opportunities by monitoring industry sources of deal flow and data (DowJones Venture Source, VentureWire, Primack Term Sheet, CrunchBase, etc.);
o Assistingwithothermarketingactivities,suchasindustryanalysesandpublicrelations and social media marketing approaches;
o Enhancingthefirm’sCustomerRelationshipManagement(CRM)systemincludingVC industry contacts and active and prospective company targets; and
o Brainstorming with other members of the sourcing team to identify and test new sourcing tactics.
- The candidate will be based in Boston and will report to and be mentored by one of the firm’s two co-founders/Managing Directors, a 20-year veteran of the VC industry with a focus on life sciences, who is based in and manages the firm’s San Diego, CA office.
- The candidate will also attend conferences and events in the Boston and also, on occasion, nationally. The job will also involve some travel to the firm’s offices in the Bay Area, San Diego, and New York areas. Certain events will require participation outside of regular working hours including evenings and weekends.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and letter of introduction for consideration to
Margaret Roberts via email@example.com.