Founded in 2012, Blue Haven Initiative (BHI) is a single-family office headquartered in Cambridge, MA, managing a diversified international investment portfolio. One of the first family offices created with impact investing as its mission and focus, Blue Haven seeks market rates of financial return on its investments as well as maximum social and environmental impact. With this approach, Blue Haven considers the nuanced ramifications of its investment choices while pursuing financial returns appropriate to each asset class or venture.
A signature focus of BHI is its in-house, private investment portfolio, investing upwards of $50 million in early stage ventures. The team invests in innovative for-profit business models that improve standards of living, create economic opportunity and better the environment for people and businesses by delivering products and services more efficiently at a higher quality and/or a lower cost than existing solutions. In particular, we are building an expertise in businesses that leapfrog traditional infrastructure to bring these services to communities that are historically underserved or out of reach.
The Private Investment strategy is dedicated to helping entrepreneurs build their businesses by partnering on a long-term basis, particularly in markets with nascent and evolving venture capital ecosystems. The team focuses on investment opportunities in Sub-Saharan Africa with an opportunistic view on other markets around the world. Target sectors include education, energy, financial services, and select business services. Currently, the BHI Private Investment team manages a portfolio of more than 15 investments in early stage companies in the US, Latin America and Africa. BHI is a fast moving, dynamic work place that requires a high level of enthusiasm for both financial and operational due diligence as well as the impact intended with each investment.
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role building an investment portfolio focused on scaling for-profit solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems (and opportunities). Reporting to the Director of Private Investments, the Associate plays a substantial role in the investment strategy and portfolio management processes. The Associate is expected to contribute to the entire investment process from sourcing and due diligence prior to an investment as well as to ongoing portfolio management and short-term special projects on an as-needed basis. The role will provide exposure across sectors and structures including private debt and equity across seed to later stage investment rounds, as well as general portfolio management support.
The position is full-time and based in Cambridge, MA with periodic international travel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Opportunity to take on a substantial amount of responsibility related to new investment opportunities to be presented for evaluation by the investment committee
- Review inbound investment proposals and prioritize high quality opportunities
- Meet with management teams to assess potential investments
- Provide daily support throughout the investment process
- Analyze market opportunities and investment themes to source proprietary deal flow
- Write investment memos and present findings to investment committee
- Build operating models to value early stage venture opportunities
- Draft term sheets and other legal documents that incorporate social and financial deal terms
- Provide post-investment support to portfolio companies through portfolio engagement projects
- Design and maintain quarterly performance reports on existing portfolio
- Contribute to ecosystem building through attendance at conferences, speaking engagements, relationship management with key stakeholder, etc.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously
- Drive to take ownership of processes and take tasks to completion
- Team-oriented mindset
- Interest in the intersection of private markets and social impact
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to manage to deadlines and deliver timely work product with limited oversight
- Close attention to detail and accuracy in all materials
Education and Experience
- Work in either private equity/venture capital, management consulting or investment banking
- Experience working in emerging and frontier markets preferred
- Knowledge of and familiarity with investment analysis, financial accounting or corporate finance
- Demonstrated interest in or commitment to the impact investment industry via work experience or volunteer positions
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
If interested, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Associate Application in the subject. Please provide a resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience are a good fit for the role. No phone inquiries, please.