We are looking for an exceptional Associate to join our investment team. This is an opportunity to be a core and integral player at Balderton Capital, (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) where you will be right at the heart of the European early-stage tech eco-system, working first-hand with some of Europe’s leading investors and entrepreneurs to shape the future of technology.
As an Associate, you will be part of the public face of Balderton and an important representative of the firm. Your experience and personal style will shape this role as you work to develop a strong network in our key geographies and sectors, engage with entrepreneurs, and identify the most promising businesses.
About the Role
In this role, you will have the opportunity – indeed we fully expect you – to build trust and gain the respect of the founders during the investment process, and support the senior leadership team throughout the growth of the portfolio company.
Internally, you will be an integral part of the investment team, supporting the Partners in all aspects of due diligence and fund reporting. They will expect you to proactively contribute and defend ideas based on in-depth research.
Interested? Apply here by including a short note about why you’re interested in this position. Please make sure your Linkedin profile is included.
You can expect the role to divide roughly into:
40% finding new investments for Balderton:
- Attend industry events, meet people and chase after companies that get you really excited
- Build and leverage your personal network for deal flow
- Analyze and track companies and sectors relevant to our investment thesis
- Deep dive into selected industry sectors
- Maintain a strong presence on social media
- Keep up to speed with the hottest developments in early stage TMT through twitter, industry blogs, press etc
40% evaluation of new investments and market intelligence:
- Perform due diligence on potential investments
- Help the Partners and Principals build and present investment cases for potential deals, with increased ownership for your own deals over time
- Articulate clear recommendations and rationale for investments. Provide critical judgement and considered opinions
- Provide your own flavour of cogent analysis and due diligence as we move closer to a deal, including market and competitive analysis, customer references, and financial modelling
20% contribution to our portfolio companies and the Balderton funds:
- Prepare presentations for LP (investor) meetings
- Support the General Partners on fund reporting and preparation for major events
- Analyze portfolio companies on an ongoing basis, as an aid to company building and performance
- Contribute to reviews of Balderton strategy and competition
- Support portfolio companies on specific projects and cultivate the Balderton philosophy of experience sharing across the portfolio
We know you’ve got what we are looking for if you are currently:
- An entrepreneur or in an operational role in a startup with a background in strategy consulting or investment banking.
- In a leadership role within a successful tech company with a background in startups or consulting.
- In an investment role with a background in startups or consulting.
In addition, you:
- Have a genuine passion for technology and startups: you write blog posts, give talks, lead meetups, participate in industry events, advise and mentor entrepreneurs, seek investment opportunities
- Can understand and talk credibly about technological innovations with entrepreneurs and investors
- Have a network in the London eco-system
If interested, please apply here.