At B Capital, (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) we are looking for an Associate candidate who have an incredible drive to lead an investment process, can act like principals and as a result will run a significant part of the investment process. Time will be spent researching markets, evaluating deals, and working with portfolio companies. The remainder of your time will be executing deals, from sign-up, to diligence, to deal management, to closing. This mix requires maturity, a willingness to learn, and proven record of taking ideas and quickly turning them into action. Our associates must be comfortable speaking up in deal reviews, including deals that they haven’t directly worked on. We are also partners with our portfolio companies and have the unique ability to leverage BCG and its network of leading clients to add value to our portfolio companies. Therefore all associates will spend a significant portion of their time with portfolio companies. They must be comfortable with feedback that is coming from all levels. Above all, they must be willing to put the firm’s success above their own, and help us deliver amazing results.
BASIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop differential investment thesis’ in our investment markets. Our associates will be closest to the markets, and will drive large pieces of our investment blueprint
- Navigate the BCG knowledge/team resources to quickly shape broad market research into something that can be invested against
- Participate actively in the local start-up communities, and become a pillar of the investment communities in which they work
- Quickly assess the viability of the many investment materials we will receive from potential companies.
- Prioritize from the large volume of deals seeking venture capital, and utilize the prioritization framework to focus areas of where to invest their time
Driving company value
- Deliver high-touch support to our portfolio companies, across a number of operating areas
- Utilize the firm’s/BCG’s networks to connect companies with highest value customer targets
- Lead initial investment “blueprint” process with companies where appropriate
- Support the development of leadership teams at the companies Deal process end-to-end
- Proactively source deals in the market through an established network
- Lead key pieces of diligence on potential firm investments, and, in some cases, lead the entire diligence
- Lead key pieces of deal process (e.g., audit, tax, legal, negotiation, close, etc.), and, in some cases, lead the entire process
BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Advanced degree preferred in finance, mathematics, engineering or related field, with an outstanding academic record. Bachelor’s degree required. Computer Science or Engineering undergrad preferred.
- MBA preferred but not required
- 2+ years (Associate) or 6+ years (Sr Associate) of relevant work experience; ideally has done at least 2 of the following rotations for Sr Associate candidates – top venture firm, consulting firm, top technology company or founder-level experience at a venture backed start-up
The ideal candidate has strong analytical abilities and is intellectually curious – particularly in terms of new and emerging technologies.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Experience with detailed financial modelling and competitive market research
- Awareness of the market and a perspective on potential investable market trends; experience identifying and determining opportunities in selected market spaces a plus
- Experience with deal negotiation, management of counsel, review of legal documents and familiarity with standard venture terms and concepts
- Entrepreneurial spirit to help us shape new portfolio investments and our own company
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, business judgment and work ethic.
- A track record that demonstrates exceptional persistence, resourcefulness, and leadership in previous endeavors; self-starter, able to initiate projects and work independently
- Possesses organization skills and composure: ability to handle competing priorities and to work effectively in a challenging fast paced environment
- Strong ties/relationships into the start-up community highly preferred; early-stage start-up experience (as Founder or early employee) a big plus