Reporting to the Senior Director, Investment Funds, the Analyst – Investment Funds is a critical member of a team that analyzes, executes, and manages investments in concept, seed, and early-stage companies across several dedicated capital funds. The position will work across Rev1 Ventures’(Linkedin, Crunchbase) investment funds including: Rev1 Fund I, Rev1 Ventures concept funds, and dedicated funds investing in companies commercializing technologies developed at innovation partners The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and OhioHealth. Rev1 Ventures invests across a broad range of technology sectors, including information technology, life sciences, advanced materials, agribusiness, and alternative energy.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist in Rev1 Ventures due diligence processes to evaluate technology, products, business, and financial plans; perform customer and market assessments, competitive analyses, and model capital requirements across the early stage company life cycle. Support project teams that counsel companies and help prepare variance analyses, investment memoranda, and conduct research for comparable company/investment data.
- Work with Rev1 Venture Acceleration and Investment staff to ensure a consistent investment process. Assist in the completion of pre-investment committee checklist, investor presentation development, and critical review and risk assessment of prospective investments.
- Assist in developing, implementing and managing systems to track and organize due diligence files, investment documents, and portfolio company documents.
- Support Rev1 Ventures’ efforts (i) to attract new, high-quality investment opportunities and (ii) to build relationships with venture funds, strategic investors, angel investors, and other key investment stakeholders. Evaluate, appropriately document, and report on new investment opportunities to meet deal flow objectives.
- Assist in financial model assumption development, forecasting, and stress testing with Rev1’s CFO-in-Residence. Perform variance analysis of actual versus budget for prospective investments and current portfolio companies.
- Manage database of investment banking, venture capital, and strategic partner contacts. Assist in outreach to these constituencies.
- Assist in monitoring portfolio company progress and maintain up-to-date records within Rev1’s CRM system, Salesforce.com. Respond to a variety of information and data reporting needs.
- Lead maintenance and management of third-party databases (e.g. Pitchbook, Crunchbase, CB Insights), updating for investment activities.
- Generate required internal approval forms and documentation necessary for investment-related activities, including disbursements of funds, in accordance with Rev1 Ventures program policies and procedures, fund management agreements, and state grant and loan agreements.
- Implement procedures for driving funding metrics and their reporting to members, Ohio Development Services Agency, and other key stakeholders.
- Assist in preparing fund level reporting and annual meeting preparation for Rev1 Ventures various investment funds and capital call documentation preparation as needed.
- Works closely with Rev1 staff and executive management to function as an advocate for the mission, programs, and clients of Rev1.
Qualifications and Skills
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree in business, sciences, engineering, or a related field preferred.
- Experience: 2 to 5 years of relevant private early-stage investment and/or combination of venture development, technology commercialization, corporate development, M&A, and/or investment management experience.
- Analytical Know-How: Excellent technical financial and analytical skills. Broad business and investment knowledge, and can understand and interpret financial statements. Solid command of Excel and practical experience with businesses’ financial / accounting functions.
- Project Management: Detail-oriented; able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks, timelines, and stakeholders. Strong work ethic.
- Strong Communication: Highly professional at all times with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. Prior experience with client management and/or managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Business Judgment: Ability to make well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations regarding new investment opportunities, and relative to specific transaction execution and portfolio management situations.
- Data Management: Rev1 is a data-driven organization, and overall team success requires individual responsibility to identify, document, and report consistently and accurately on objectives and outcomes.
- Team-Oriented: Comfortable working in cross-functional teams and able to collaborate with diverse professionals, including university researchers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, angel investors, strategic vendors, and the Rev1 marketing and venture acceleration teams and other staff. Ability to function effectively in a matrix management setting.
- Sector Knowledge: Industry knowledge and expertise across information technology, life sciences, and other technology sectors is a plus.
- Collaborative work environment at one of the Best Places to Work in Columbus
- Access to exciting tech startups and trends in the national arena
- Competitive compensation package, including performance-based incentives
- Generous paid time off
- 401(k) matching
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
If interested, please apply here.