Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
With more than 100 million active users and hundreds of millions of active product listings, eBay is the world’s most vibrant and dynamic online marketplace. Founded in 1995, eBay Inc. connects people around the world, enabling them to buy and sell online. eBay Inc. does this by providing the Internet platforms of choice for global commerce, payments and communications. eBay Inc. is headquartered in San Jose, California. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.
eBay’s Corporate Development Team is responsible for sourcing, evaluating, executing and integrating the company’s strategic acquisitions, investments and joint ventures.
The role of the team is to:
- Align M&A strategy with overall eBay strategy and set clear prioritization
- Do deals that are strategic to the company, create value and are thoroughly explored through analysis and due diligence
- Ensure targets are well prepared for integration to achieve strategic objectives
- Deploy best in class processes to efficiently and effectively complete transactions
The team works closely with eBay’s CEO, CFO, CTO and operational leaders to enable go/no-go decision-making for potential investments and acquisitions. We develop unique market insights and strong industry & venture capital relationships to proactively identify the most attractive M&A and investment opportunities. We assess opportunities to ensure a strong strategic rationale, assess the case for buying vs. building vs. partnering, align the organizational fit and integration plan, develop the business case including synergies, perform valuation, structure, negotiate and execute transactions.
We are currently seeking a high caliber Director to join our team. The Director will report to the Head of Corporate Development. This is a high profile and challenging role with significant executive exposure inside and outside of eBay, at a global level. The Director is expected to bring significant expertise to the role allowing him/ her to play a leading role across all the team responsibilities listed above. The role requires a blend of strong strategic problem-solving, management and deal experience, and team-building skills, in a highly dynamic business environment.
The Director will be involved in identifying prospective target opportunities, performing strategic and quantitative analysis, conducting due diligence, determining appropriate valuation and structure, developing strategy for and conducting negotiations, driving activities to closure, and coordinating with our M&A Integration team. On a typical transaction, the Director will be responsible for all aspects of the transaction and will carry out tasks by managing a cross-functional team involving persons from
our Business Units and our Corporate Strategy, Finance, Legal, Human Resources, IT, Product Management and Product Development teams.
This role provides a unique opportunity to gain a deep understanding of eBay, our industry and to lead transactions ranging from commercial deals, to early stage investments, smaller tech and talent deals to large scale M&A. The level of exposure will allow the Director to develop close working relationships with the key leaders at and beyond eBay, and can be an effective springboard for other operational leadership roles at eBay, where global job mobility is encouraged.
- Demonstrated track record of success of leading large and small, complex M&A transactions, including private and public acquisitions, joint ventures and investments
- Inform our M&A strategy across key strategic themes
- Play a leadership role in improving our deal sourcing abilities including interaction with early stage companies
- Support delivery of business and corporate development insights and recommendations to senior executives around strategic partnerships and M&A opportunities
- Developing strong working relationships with key decision makers and functional groups across eBay
- Strong skills in strategic and quantitative analysis, project management, coupled with strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills in order to gain trust, negotiate business objectives and work directly with a broad group of senior executives throughout the company
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical orientation, and an ability to structure an issue and analyze alternative solutions
- Exhibits strong multi-tasking skills managing multiple corporate development projects at a time in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Strong team-player
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, manage teams and supervise outside professionals
- Familiarity with Internet / e-commerce landscape is desired, as well as experience buying and selling on eBay
The ideal candidate for the position should have a BA or BS undergraduate degree, an MBA and/or JD preferred, and more than ten years of M&A / Corporate Development experience running all aspects of acquisition and investment transactions. Some of a candidate’s experience may be drawn from advisory positions in investment banking, venture capital, legal or consulting firms.
If interested, please apply here.