At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Corporate & Business Development
Director, Corporate & Business Development
As a Director of Corporate and Business Development at Capital One, you will apply your strategic, analytical, and transactional skills to growth opportunities across Capital One’s business lines (Card, Bank, Commercial, Auto, Mortgage, and Digital). The Director will support the identification and execution of opportunities across the technology and financial services industries to enhance Capital One’s competitive position in existing businesses and aid in the expansion into new areas or products. You’ll team with world-class professionals to develop and execute strategic initiatives that impact the future of Capital One.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic thought leadership: Assess acquisition, partnership, and organic (build) opportunities to drive growth, profitability, and competitive success for Capital One in the face of shifting consumer demands. Build and inform the strategic direction for how Capital One identifies and sources opportunities for its business lines.
- Develop insights into the Consumer and B2B technology ecosystem: Build a deep understanding of the trends influencing consumer technology with a focus on payments, rewards, and financial services products. Collaborate with Corporate Strategy, the Business lines, Digital, and Venture Investing to develop strategic cases for acquisition, partnership, or investment in a company or industry.
- Pipeline development: Put the strategy into action by sourcing highly relevant and actionable opportunities for our business lines. The Director should be proficient at relationship building and market research to build and maintain a robust pipeline of opportunities. Targeted relationships will include operating companies (startups to large public companies), venture capital firms, bankers, and industry experts.
- Execution: Within a team construct, advance transactions from the idea phase to internal consensus building and ultimate transaction execution. Direct and perform complex analyses, strategic and operational research (internal and external), form data into key insights and recommendations, due diligence, and contract negotiations.
- Leadership: Manage large enterprise teams in executing deals and developing multiple analysts within the Corporate Development group. Coaching and mentoring associates with a goal of developing and retaining talent at Capital One.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strategic & analytic orientation: A proven track record of decision making and problem solving based on analytics. Conceptual thinking skills must be complemented by a strong quantitative orientation.
- Solid people leadership and teamwork skills: Ability to build and leverage the capabilities of a high-performing team, as well as business partners across the enterprise. Candidate should foster innovation, drive critical decisions, hold business partners accountable, and be able to consistently deliver results.
- Strong executive communication skills: Impeccable written and oral communication credentials, coupled with strategic influencing skills and the ability to drive agreement through intellect, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Clear results orientation: Display an intense focus on achieving both short and long term goals. Candidate should be able to drive and execute an agenda in an uncertain and fluid environment.
- Successful track record of thriving in a fast paced, entrepreneurial and dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years’ experience in one or a combination of the following roles: private equity, venture capital, consulting, front-line business, or corporate development
- At least 3 years’ experience working with financial statements and financial models
- At least 3 years’ experience conducting deep industry research and company research
- MBA Degree, Computer Science Degree, or Engineering Degree
- Prior Enterprise Business Development role or Corporate Development role with a leading technology company, investment firm, fintech, or financial services firm
- Experience building a pipeline, engaging with, and partnering, acquiring or investing in private and public companies
- Demonstrated ability to understand financial statements and create complex financial models
If interested, please apply here.