The American Heart Association (AHA) is at the nexus of cardiovascular research – funding more cardiovascular disease research than any other organization outside of the federal government. Through its leading position in science and translation, the AHA has the power to influence the global conversation on health technology and scientific acceleration. The American Heart Association has continually been on the forefront of innovation, driving research and discovery—investing in more than $4 billion in research since 1949. As the leader in investigator-initiated grants, AHA has placed significant emphasis on building scientific careers, funding 13 Nobel Prize winners and many lifesaving research advancements such as the first artificial heart valve, cholesterol-inhibiting drugs, heart transplantation and CPR techniques and guidelines.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a Chief of Emerging Strategies and Ventures in our National Center office located in Dallas, TX .
The Chief of Emerging Strategies and Ventures will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Science and Medical Officer, and leadership volunteers to accelerate American Heart Association’s mission impact and transformation journey especially at the intersection of science and technology. Reporting to the CEO, the Chief of Emerging Strategies and Ventures will be the driving force to assure that the organization’s vision and strategy in emerging areas of business including new ventures, is soundly executed, and that the team and culture required to achieve this vision are in place. This role will oversee critical areas of the AHA’s strategy including the Institute for Precision Cardiovascular Medicine, One Brave Idea, the Strategic Relationship with X-Prize, the Center for Health Technology and Innovation, Cardeation Capital, the Brain Health enterprise as well as partner with the CEO on the organization’s Strategic Business Relationships with key technology, science and healthcare organizations. The role will create a business-driven approach to generating the competitive differentiation that will lead to revenue growth and offer a more hands-on approach to the development of new and emerging science/tech/healthcare strategies and ventures; leading to the creation of business models and plans to maximize success.
This role will have a very strong business, product, data and technology acumen and will maintain a keen focus balancing innovation and operational management with a global perspective. This will be inspired by natural intuition, backed by a data-driven pragmatism and evidenced in notable accomplishments and past successes.
- Develop, communicate and implement the transformation strategy and delivery plan for emerging areas of the AHA’s business, as well as establish financial forecasts and metrics to ensure alignment with overall organizational objectives.
- Drive and build long-term strategic partnerships to successfully position American Heart Association.
- Assess new markets / acquisition opportunities, create new product / service bundles, enable new business model development.
- Communicate a multi-year strategy to all levels of the organization.
- Inspirational leadership to energize the culture at American Heart Association.
- Drive and articulate American Heart Association’s positioning with key internal/external strategic partners.
- Recruit, mentor and develop a world-class, motivated and high performing team.
- Regularly interface with C-level clients and internal/external senior executives.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree (MD, MS or MBA) preferred.
- A minimum of 20 years of prior senior level leadership experience in roles demonstrating experience in science, technology and healthcare emerging strategies and innovation.
- Experience working in corporate world; international experience a plus.
- Experience in shaping strategy; ability to spot previously unidentified product opportunities and frame strategic options for the business.
- Demonstrated experience in market entry and expansion.
- Strategic thinker: able to conduct “white space strategy,” taking a complex problem and developing a framework to evaluate options, weigh out the benefits and risks, make a well-founded recommendation, and communicate a suitable action plan.
- Ability to automatically see opportunities in a highly-nuanced domain to make connections that will drive efficiency and alignment.
- Comfort working under pressure and to tight deadlines while operating in a matrixed environment where building consensus and bring others along is of high value.
- Proven track record of successfully driving top and bottom line results individually and as part of a high-performance team.
- Outstanding oral/written communication and presentation skills, especially with respect to clearly communicating complex data-driven topics.
- Experience in Technology and Healthcare, Life sciences and Health-tech Industry trends.
- Ability to balance business needs and emerging technology.
- Ability to build and lead high performing teams within an agile environment.
- Leads change by motivating and engaging others.
- Experience structuring and leading system-level strategic projects and strategic problem-solving skills that capture an end to end view of the business.
- Successful track record partnering with executive-level professionals to drive business outcomes and serving them as a trusted advisor.
- Commanding understanding of scenario planning, SWOT analysis, and other predictive analytics techniques.
- The ability to author executive-ready, high-impact presentations and to present complex topics simply and through compelling narratives to a senior audience in a variety of settings.
- Act as coach to AHA leaders and team members on best practices for successful transformation/reinvention efforts.
- Must have the ability to travel up to 40% of time with overnight stays.
If interested, please apply here.