Scale Venture Partners is looking for an energetic associate to join the investment team early to mid 2017 in the Firm’s Foster City office. We are looking for someone to help uncover companies that are transforming their markets, disrupting incumbents, and creating singular new products. This Associate will focus on investments in SaaS, mobile and cloud infrastructure, with the option to focus deeply in areas that are of higher interest. This role involves sourcing new investments, providing operational support throughout the due diligence process, working daily with the investment team, and attending industry conferences and events.
Scale invests in earlyinrevenue technology companies, specifically those that are transforming the technology landscape in SaaS, mobile and cloud infrastructure in the United States. Our team helps innovative businesses accelerate growth, whether they have one customer or one thousand, and we think of this as the ‘scaling’ stage toward market leadership.
We are thoughtful about where we invest, doing our homework to really understand which markets are buoyed by major market trends. Once we understand a market and uncover all the relevant companies, we seek those that are driving change and pushing the limits of a given industry. Once a company is ready, we believe in investing to accelerate sales and marketing in order to secure a market leading position.
Scale was founded in 2000 and the Firm has over $1.2 billion in assets under management, with a total of five funds raised. The most recent fund, Fund V, is a $335M fund. Recent Scale investments include: DroneDeploy, Lever, Box, DataStax, CloudHealth, Chef, DocuSign, HubSpot and Realm. Scale is located in Foster City and team members live everywhere from San Francisco to Cupertino.
You can find more firm information on our website (www.scalevp.com), including individual bios, coverage of portfolio companies, and relevant blog content.
What the role involves:
- Reaching out to earlystage companies to uncover potential new investments
- Keeping ears open to landscape shifts and conducting research to develop investment themes
- Assessing the attractiveness of opportunities based on qualitative and quantitative metrics
- Conducting due diligence on new investments (including: researching competitive landscapes, building financial models, and running diligence calls)
- Working in a strategic capacity with existing Scale portfolio companies alongside the Scale partner and board member
- Attending industry events, conferences and networking activities to meet companies and represent Scale
2-3 years of top quartile performance at a leading investment bank, focused on software or technology
Technical mindset and intellectual curiosity, with a demonstrated passion for technology
Strong oral and written communication skills, financial modeling experience, and financial statement familiarity
Proactive, with strong social presence to source investment opportunities, interact with executives, and attend conferences
A team-player but individually ambitious, independent, and hardworking
Demonstrated academic achievement and professional excellence
Not required: Do you have a technical background? Did you study Computer Science in college? Have you ever built a mobile app? Do you enjoy coding in your spare time? If so, we love those qualities and encourage you to share those with us.
- This is a two-year preMBA position, with the option for a third year, performance dependent
- Past Scale associates have gone on to great careers, including MBAs at Harvard and Wharton, jobs at Box, Gusto, WhatsApp and Facebook, and venture careers at Trinity Ventures and Matrix Partners
- Compensation is market competitive
- Perks include gym on premises, free parking, frequent catered lunch, team outings such as badminton games and the JP Morgan
- Corporate Challenge, and a generous electronics policy
Planning ahead: For those candidates who proceed to a second round interview, we will ask you to construct a one page investment proposal about an earlyinrevenue company (Series A/B) you recommend to Scale. This summary should emulate a defense for the investment at the partner level, and may include an analysis of the management team, competition, market size, valuation, trends in favor, etc.