If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life’s best work.(sm)
OptumHealth is focused on helping people navigate the health system and make the best choices for their overall wellbeing. As part of OptumHealth, the Population Health Solutions (PHS) mission is to deliver quality products and services to help manage total cost of care, reduce risks, and improve health outcomes.
As Associate Director – Product, Strategy, Innovation, & New Ventures – your focus will be to define & launch new business partnerships and models with various companies that grow and improve our current PHS offerings. The candidate will be under the PHS Strategy, Innovation, and New Ventures (SINV) team, which has created a process designed to identify and incubate high growth concepts aligned to the core mission and vision of the PHS business. The Partnership team, in which you will join, must be able to clearly define the partner strategy value proposition, define a strategy and framing for partnerships against that value proposition, and be able to execute on the strategy to meet business objectives (revenue growth, affordability savings, and/or OpEx savings).
An effective Associate Director – Product, Strategy, Innovation, & New Ventures possess the ability to balance multiple different projects and relationships at one time — is passionate about healthcare — and can influence to gain leadership alignment and ensure execution.
In this role you will be challenged, developed, and establish a strong network of executive partners within Optum and externally with the companies we will work with. Your work will be visible to senior leadership and will have a profound impact on the future direction of the company.
We look favorably on candidates who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Structured problem solving: We typically operate in environments of extreme ambiguity with high stakes
- Nose for value: Because we also operate on rapid timetables we ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously and prioritize the right amount of effort for each task
- Bias to action: when faced with the opportunity to lean in or out, we look for those who step up to the challenge
- Executive presence: we partner with senior executives, clients, and potential co-investment groups (e.g. VC, PE). Managing these relationships and interactions requires a certain degree of maturity and gravitas in order to establish and maintain our credibility
- Individual & Team accountability: we deliver on our commitments. Period.
- The ability to structure analysis and merge qualitative and quant insights is critical to our success
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity
- Being able to effectively lead a team of direct and indirect reports
- Work with key product leaders to source opportunities, identify companies with synergies, and create a go-to-market strategy with other internal product divisions
- Identify concepts from strategy process best suited for internal partnering – move from many to few concepts to pursue – pursue those concepts with pace and intentionality
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to strategically develop, implement and optimize vendor/partnership management processes, tools and policies to achieve performance objectives while mitigating risk
- Assist in the strategy and overall design of the Partnerships & Strategic Relationships COE
- Lead various shared service organizations (Legal, Optum Health Leadership, Operations Teams, and Growth teams) to through the Accelerate Process completing CPL’s, PRD’s, PRD’s, CBA’s and other documentation to commercialize the partnership
- Complete market scans and analysis of emerging companies within the pop health ecosystem
- Create a playbook and fact-base to bring to the investment and partnership committee
- Partner across boundaries to analyze existing categories of business and identifies strategic opportunities and creates business plans to drive growth
- Create business plans and CBA for investment
- Create a model that will allow for many internal product teams to co-develop and share revenue of joint collaborations
- Assist inbound and proactive M&A opportunity landscape
- Meet 1&5 year revenue & IOI targets set through LRP
- Travel required ~10-20% (conferences, partner meetings, & Optum HQ visits in Minneapolis)
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA, MHA , or advanced degree is a plus
- 4+ years of general business experience preferably in a healthcare, consulting, start-up, private equity, or venture capital organization
- 2+ years of developing strategic relationships with matrix partners with proven success of influencing and partnering to drive enterprise outcomes
- Effective and persuasive communication skills – both written and verbal. Demonstrated ability to successfully influence and drive outcomes without direct authority
- Highest level of attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, adjusting priorities as needed and meeting deadlines
- Highly skilled and practiced in MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
If interested, please apply here.