Whitecap Venture Partners is an early-stage Venture Capital firm investing in high growth companies across three verticals: Information & Communications Technologies (ICT), Food/FoodTech and MedTech. Whitecap will start investing out of their fifth fund ($125M+) in the Summer of 2021.
Whitecap has been investing in Canada for almost 30 years, making it one of the oldest Venture Capital firms in Canada. We are backed by large Canadian institutional Limited Partners and have delivered very strong returns across prior funds.
The majority of our investments are at the Series A stage. Our strategy is to build a concentrated portfolio of 7–10 companies and provide significant strategic support post-investment.
We are looking to add an Associate to our six-person investing team. In this role you will support new investments and help manage our portfolio post-investment.
Source new investment opportunities and perform due diligences
- Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Identify high potential start-ups by meeting and building relationships with founders
- Perform Due Diligence on potential investments and lead preparation of internal investment memos (including research, financial modelling, talking with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology / IP, etc.)
Support our portfolio companies after investment
- Support Partners on company Board of Directors (Board Observer roles)
- Support company CEOs / Leadership with ad-hoc projects and reporting
Assist with Firm activities and Investor Management
- Contribute to quarterly reporting to our investors (Limited Partners)
- Support fund modelling
Build relationships in the Venture Community
- Build relationships with peers in the Canadian start-up ecosystem including founders, VCs, angel investors, accelerators, and ecosystem partners
- Attend conferences, industry events, and networking activities representing Whitecap
- Education: Undergraduate degree with strong academic credentials. Strong technical skills (Engineering, Computer Science, Medical) and relevant graduate degrees are a plus.
- Work Experience: Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in early-stage tech (or entrepreneurial environment), consulting, law, finance, VC, PE, or engineering.
A Strong Candidate Will…
- Have a passion for early-stage tech and is naturally curious. They are interested in learning about disruptive approaches and want to help budding tech start-ups scale rapidly.
- Be a self-starter and problem solver. They can be given an ambiguous problem and figure out a creative solution. They can research a topic and develop a point of view.
- Have strong interpersonal skills. They have an ability to build long-term relationships with portfolio CEOs, founders, and in the Venture community.
- Have strong analytical and Excel skills. They understand financial statements, cash flow models, start-up metrics, and basic Venture Capital metrics / valuation techniques.
- Have strong communication skills. They can distill thoughts into a well laid out thesis and can make compelling PowerPoint presentations.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org