The Engine is looking for a motivated, collaborative, analytical and entrepreneurial individual to join our team as an Investment Associate. We believe that by building a team that is diverse across many dimensions — race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, educational background, thought process, and more — we will be able to identify and support the best Tough Tech companies in the world as they solve big global challenges.
The ideal candidate has a technical education (sciences, engineering, etc.) with meaningful professional experience in industry, research, corporate finance or consulting. This candidate may have specific market or technical area knowledge/specialization but will be willing to explore startup opportunities across many technical fields and markets. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable in a fluid work environment, takes ownership of projects and workstreams, and is able to communicate information clearly and concisely.
Roles And Responsibilities
- The Engine is a lean and highly collaborative team. This position reports to the General Partners and involves direct responsibilities in investment activities, as well as support and guidance responsibilities related to the continued development and operations of The Engine Network, The Engine Program and The Engine Infrastructure. Key responsibilities include:
- Source, evaluate, and prioritize a robust pipeline of Tough Tech startups with focus on pre-seed, seed, and Series A stages
- Perform business and technical diligence on new investment opportunities and help produce investment memos
- Develop and maintain a broad network of researchers and entrepreneurs to increase deal flow
- Help maintain an up-to-date pipeline and database of investments
- Work with General Partners to structure investments in Tough Tech startups
- Represent The Engine and our mission and advocate for Tough Tech in the startup and academic ecosystems in Greater Boston and beyond
- Be flexible to take on new responsibilities as they come up to enable goals across the fund, the Engine program, and the Engine Network, including working directly with our portfolio companies on occasional project sprints
Skills And Qualifications
- Strong alignment with The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in industry, research, corporate finance or consulting
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial activity in professional or extracurricular setting Degree in a scientific, technical, or engineering field
- Ability to build trust and drive results with entrepreneurs and Engine teammates
- Dedicated team player committed to collaboration
- Superior listening and communication skills; ability to present findings in a compelling way
- Ability to quickly research, synthesize and summarize key lessons on unfamiliar topics
- Comfortable with diverse engineering and scientific disciplines
- Outstanding critical thinking skills, mental agility, adaptability, creativity and problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Financial modeling skills a plus.
- Direct experience in a Tough Tech startup a plus but not required
About The Engine
The Engine, launched by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through a convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through the combination of capital, infrastructure, and network. Since opening its doors in June 2017, The Engine has committed resources to 28 companies and created an unprecedented framework for bringing tough tech from the lab to the commercial world. We also operate a 30,000 square foot facility of office, labs, and machine shop at our headquarters in Cambridge, MA.
The Engine Fund Invests long-term capital in startups that need time to make an impact. We develop founders from technical pioneers to company leaders by providing them with capital, entrepreneurial knowledge, expertise, inspiration, and guidance.
The Engine Network Facilitates the creation of long-term mutually beneficial relationships between founders, startups, corporates, government, venture capital, among others.
The Engine Infrastructure Provides access to specialized labs, equipment, tools and space, both on-site and through a network of partner facilities, necessary to build transformative technologies economically and efficiently.
A mission-driven work environment and team, and the opportunity to work with world-class Tough Tech foundersCompetitive compensation, based on experienceHealth, Dental, Vision Insurance401k matching
The Engine deeply values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter
If interested, please apply here.