The Venture Associate is an essential member of the Techstars Austin Accelerator team reporting to the Program Director. The Venture Associate is responsible for building a robust pipeline of the best startups nationally and globally, ensuring they are a fit for the Techstars Austin program and investment thesis. The Venture Associate meets with entrepreneurs daily, attends various networking events, and spends time learning about emerging trends and technologies in the venture capital industry.
The Venture Associate builds strong relationships with the startup community (made up of founders, mentors and investors) in order to bring deal flow to the team and in turn build a network of individuals who can work with and support the Techstars Austin portfolio. Additionally, this role owns the application process for all upcoming programs. This includes reviewing applications, taking Office Hours, hosting Ask Me Anything events and more.
The Venture Associate will maintain strong bonds with the startups they bring into the program, acting as a resource and looking out for relevant opportunities and introductions to support their success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the sourcing and recruiting strategy and execution for your program
- Identify, source, and screen startups globally year round
- Research and identify trends for companies and financing, and analyze product and competitive dynamics to help create a strong pipeline of startups
- Actively recruit and meet companies through various channels such as online research, networking events and referrals from our network
- Represent the Techstars Austin program locally and globally via panels, keynotes, social networking events and more
- Lead pipeline review meetings with your program team
- Have all applications sorted and statuses updated by application deadlines
- Contribute to investment memos and specific company diligence for the class selection process
- Remain up-to-date and a source of knowledge and support for sponsored companies once accepted in to program
- Develop relationships with investors locally, nationally and globally both for deal flow as well as to assist with fundraising for companies in the local portfolio
- Responsible for business, founder and company financial diligence prior to offers being made
What you bring to the role:
- 3+ years of experience in fast-paced environments with a focus on entrepreneurship, startups, venture capital, or consulting (proven experience working within fundraising, VC, investments background highly preferred)
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Experience with research tools and methodologies
- Proven understanding of marketing CRM and lead management, market research, due diligence, and investment experience
- Familiar with websites such as Crunchbase, AngelList, LinkedIn, etc
- Be a problem solver and effective communicator
- Must be able to work well with autonomy and ambiguity
- You are willing and available to travel throughout the year to meet with startups
Compensation range: $65,000 – $90,000 + 10% Bonus
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas – entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.
If interested, please apply here.