Suffolk Technologies, a new venture capital and innovation platform backed by $4.5B construction leader Suffolk, is seeking an outstanding Investment Associate to join an experienced and growing team. The position offers an accelerated and entrepreneurial VC career path for those passionate about investing in and supporting founders transforming the physical world around us. The Associate will have a wide range of responsibilities including developing investment themes, engaging industry stakeholders with thought leadership, sourcing startups and leading due diligence, and working closely with a portfolio of high impact startups (from early to late stages) across the real estate, construction and smart city sectors.
Suffolk is a national enterprise that invests, innovates, and builds. We provide value throughout the entire project lifecycle by leveraging our core construction management services with vertical service lines that include real estate capital investment, design, self-perform construction services, technology start-up investment and innovation research and development. We have $4.5B in annual revenue, 2,400 employees, and main offices in Boston (headquarters), New York, Miami, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Estero, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. We serve clients in every major industry sector, including health care, science and technology, education, gaming, transportation and aviation, and commercial. Suffolk is privately held and is led by founder, chairman and CEO John Fish. We are proud to be a certified 2020 “Great Place to Work.” For more information about Suffolk, visit www.suffolk.com. For more information about the Suffolk Technologies team and portfolio, visit www.suffolk-tech.com
About Suffolk Technologies
Suffolk Technologies is the technology capital investment arm of innovative construction enterprise Suffolk. Suffolk Technologies is responsible for investing in technology startups that drive capital efficiency and productivity in the built environment. Suffolk Technologies invests in solutions across the building lifecycle, including real estate investment and development, architecture engineering and construction, as well as property management. The team works with tech startup founders with ambitious visions who are innovating business models and technologies to achieve scalable impact. Suffolk Technologies is stage agnostic (preference is early stage) and has supported companies ranging from pre-product to more than $100 million in revenue. For more information about Suffolk Technologies strategy and investments, visit Suffolk-Tech.com
Motivated and analytical thinker who drives challenging projects to high-quality results with limited supervision. Strong communicator who can synthesize and distill complex information to produce actionable insights. Ability to deliver against demanding project timelines and flexible in taking on a wide range of analytical work with consistent attention to detail. Comfort with and ability to navigate ambiguity. Passion for the built environment.
Suffolk is seeking people who are bold. Curious. Innovative. Caring. Looking for the career opportunity of a lifetime. We’ll challenge and inspire you to be your very best. We’ll embrace what makes you unique and lift you up as you take chances. Here, you’ll find a place where you can act with purpose and integrity, bringing intelligence and grit to every aspect of your job. Join us for the chance to leverage your inherent curiosity and proven capabilities to catapult you to the next level.
Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Deal screening: meet with prospects, evaluate opportunities
- Perform market research and synthesize insights to develop investment themes
- Network with peers at investment firms and strategics
- Support startup programming, such as Boost accelerator
Perform due diligence
- Conduct market opportunity and competitive analysis
- Analyze information from prospective investment targets
- Liaise with internal and external experts to complete due diligence
- Build valuation analysis and models
- Help prepare internal investment memos
Support portfolio companies
- Work with portfolio founders on company development, including participating on boards
- Organize Suffolk and industry resources and networks to support portfolio companies
- Demonstrates Suffolk’s Core Values of People Above All, Courageously Driven, Find a Way, Endlessly Curious.
- Demonstrated interest in startups, investment, and the built environment
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier school
- 2-3 years of investment (VC/PE, investment banking), consulting experience at a top-tier firm, or product management/sales/corporate development roles in the technology industry
- Strong written, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Team collaborator and leader, and self-guided on day-to-day work
- Experience in a built world related sector is preferred, but not required
- Experience with financial statement analysis preferred, but not required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Suffolk will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at Suffolk Ventures, or anyone working on behalf of Suffolk.Apply for this job onlineRefer this job to a friendShare on your newsfeed
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Please submit your resume and/or contact information to Connect with us for general consideration.
If interested, please apply here.