The Missouri Technology Corporation (MTC) is a public-private partnership created by the Missouri General Assembly to promote entrepreneurship and foster the growth of new and emerging high-tech companies in the State of Missouri. MTC seeks a highly motivated, self-driven, organized candidate ideally with strong ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystems to oversee the management of our early-stage investment portfolio and to recruit new investment opportunities in the State’s most promising early-stage technology companies.
This is an ideal position for candidates interested in gaining hands-on experience in early-stage investing and venture capital. Specifically, candidates that have completed formal coursework on relevant topics, have worked or volunteered with Angel Groups, seed-stage venture funds, or have participated in experiential learning courses such as student-led venture funds.
Please note that MTC has a residency requirement. All candidates must currently be a resident of Missouri or willing to relocate immediately to qualify for the position.
Additionally, the pay scale for this position is closer to that of a state agency or non-profit rather than a for-profit venture fund. Please note that MTC does not collect a carry on its investments, therefore compensation for the position will not include a share of the carry.
Established in 1994, MTC provides statewide leadership in the entrepreneurial community through strategic investments by its IDEA Fund, a statewide venture capital fund; its Missouri Building Entrepreneurial Capacity (MOBEC) program to invest in entrepreneur support programs and infrastructure; and the local innovation center programs. The IDEA Fund launched in 2010 has backed some of Missouri’s most successful technology startup companies and now represents a portfolio of over 135 companies. IDEA Fund portfolio companies have leveraged over $1Bn in private capital and the direct investment activities have supported the growth of some of Missouri’s most high-profile and successful technology startups of the past decade, including Benson Hill Biosystems, PayIt, LockerDome, MediBeacon, Newsy, and Confluence Life Sciences. The IDEA Fund has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Treasury as one of the most successful state-backed programs for attracting private capital to grow early-stage technology companies, and by PitchBook for being among the most active venture capital funds in Missouri.
Venture Associate Position
The Venture Associate will report directly to the Executive Director and is a full-time, exempt position (exempt from earning overtime).
Salary and Benefits: Candidates will be compensated based upon experience with an annual salary ranging from $50,000 – $75,000, along with full medical and dental insurance, 401k, paid time off, and paid holidays.
Travel Requirements: Semi-regular travel throughout the State of Missouri.
Residency Requirement: Must currently be a Missouri resident or willing to relocate to the State.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for ongoing portfolio management and program operations related to the IDEA Fund, including but not limited to:
- Monitoring and tracking the health of the portfolio and individual companies.
- Attending select portfolio company board meetings on behalf of the organization/Executive Director.
- Working with the Executive Director and legal counsel to support portfolio company requests such as shareholder consents, note conversions, or note extensions.
- Recruiting new direct investment opportunities by building/maintaining relationships with key statewide stakeholders.
- Developing additional investment thesis’ for the expansion of MTC’s IDEA Fund activities related to opportunities within the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
- Clear, effective, and organized written and verbal communication.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential assignments without detailed instruction.
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in standard office management, communications, presentation, and productivity tools (e.g. Microsoft Office).
- Must possess valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for work-related travel.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- 2 to 5 years of project and program management experience required; preferably in early-stage portfolio management and/or investments in early-stage high growth private technology-focused companies.
- A commitment to growing entrepreneurial impact in Missouri is required.
- Experience in entrepreneur support and ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystem desired.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to, email@example.com.
Screening to begin immediately and the position will be open until filled. Resumes received by June 28, 2021 will receive the fullest consideration.