The Missouri Technology Corporation (MTC) is a public-private partnership created by the Missouri General Assembly to promote entrepreneurship and foster the growth of new and emerging high-tech companies in the State of Missouri. MTC seeks a highly motivated, self-driven, organized candidate ideally with strong ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystems to oversee the management of our early-stage investment portfolio and to recruit new investment opportunities in the State’s most promising early-stage technology companies. This is an ideal position for an Analyst interested in transitioning to a Venture Partner track or for someone interested in gaining hands-on venture experience. Please note that MTC has a residency requirement. All candidates must currently be a resident of Missouri or willing to relocate immediately to qualify for the position.
Additionally, the pay scale for this position is closer to that of a state agency or non-profit rather than a for-profit venture fund. Please note that MTC does not collect a carry on its investments, therefore compensation for the position will not include a share of the carry.
Established in 1994, MTC provides statewide leadership in the entrepreneurial community through strategic investments by its IDEA Fund, a statewide venture capital fund; its Missouri Building Entrepreneurial Capacity (MOBEC) program to invest in entrepreneur support programs and infrastructure; and the local innovation center programs. The IDEA Fund launched in 2010 has backed some of Missouri’s most successful technology startup companies and now represents a portfolio of over 100 companies. The IDEA Fund investments have leveraged over $700M in private capital and supported the growth of some of Missouri’s most high-profile and successful technology startups of the past decade, including Benson Hill Biosystems, PayIt, LockerDome, MediBeacon, Newsy, and Confluence Life Sciences. The IDEA Fund has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Treasury as one of the most successful state-backed programs for attracting private capital to grow early-stage technology companies, and by PitchBook for being among the most active venture capital funds in Missouri.
In this position, you will be responsible for ongoing portfolio management and program operations for the IDEA Fund, including but not limited to:
· Monitoring and tracking the health of the portfolio and individual companies.
· Attending selected portfolio company board meetings on behalf of the organization/Executive Director.
· Working with the Executive Director and legal counsel to support portfolio company requests such as shareholder consents, note conversions, or note extensions.
· Recruiting new direct investment opportunities by building/maintaining relationships with key statewide stakeholders.
· Clear, effective, and organized written and verbal communication.
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work independently on complex and confidential assignments without detailed instruction.
· Ability to multitask and remain flexible in a fast-paced environment.
· Proficient in standard office management, communications, presentation, and productivity tools (e.g. Microsoft Office).
· Must possess valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for work-related travel.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
· 2 to 5 years of project and program management experience required; preferably in early-stage portfolio management and/or investments in early-stage high growth private technology-focused companies.
· A commitment to growing entrepreneurial impact in Missouri required.
· Experience in entrepreneur support and ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystem desired.
· Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
MTC is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner status or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local law.