Laconia is a seed fund based in NYC that invests in companies revolutionizing legacy industries. We typically lead $2-4 million rounds in b2b software companies, predominantly in the Northeast US and Canada. Within b2b, we are sector-agnostic, with investments spanning fintech, martech, supply chain, digital health, and more. As entrepreneurs and operators ourselves, we take a concentrated and hands-on approach to partnering with founders, with a strong emphasis on sales acceleration, operational execution, and capital strategy.
Central to Laconia are transparency, collaboration, and community. We value empathy, candor, intellectual curiosity, diversity, and accessibility. With an internship program (25+ alumni) and a fellowship program (180+ current participants), we have a long-standing track record of providing education, mentorship, and career development opportunities for rising investors.
As we begin to deploy our third fund, we are excited to add a full-time associate to our small but mighty investment team.
About the associate role
Our new associate will join the investment team and work closely with Laconia’s three partners (Jeffrey Silverman, David Arcara, and Geri Kirilova).
As an associate, you will have tremendous autonomy in structuring your own workflow and time allocation. Your core responsibilities will include the following:
- Supporting Laconia’s venture capital investment process
- Sourcing and evaluating potential investment opportunities by conducting industry research, reviewing investment materials, building meaningful relationships within the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and meeting with founders
- Leading due diligence by reviewing prospective portfolio company materials, evaluating financial statements and models, conducting relevant research, writing investment memos, creating pro-forma cap tables, consulting industry experts, and more
- Supporting portfolio companies by identifying key hires, providing business development support, and helping with fundraising
- Optimizing our internal processes and tools to ensure that our team is working efficiently and effectively
- Supporting various other operational activities such as fundraising, vendor management, network development, community initiatives, and marketing efforts as needed
About the ideal candidate
As a relatively new firm, Laconia is in many ways a startup itself, and our ideal team member is someone entrepreneurial who is just as excited to build a company as they are about investing.
The most important elements for success in this role are the following:
- Ability to conduct both qualitative and quantitative analysis, ranging from understanding market trends on a macro level to digging into the weeds on topics like unit economics and capitalization structure
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal. The ideal candidate will be able to clearly express a narrative or point of view in a way that is nuanced, concise, and easy to follow, whether it’s via conversation, long-form writing, or visual presentations
- Proven track record of taking initiative, working independently, being resourceful, managing projects from ideation to completion, and juggling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Familiarity with financial statements and venture capital terminology (valuations, term sheets, cap tables)
- Passion for learning and genuine interest in entrepreneurialism, meeting new people, building authentic relationships, and growing your network
- Proficiency with basic business software: Microsoft Office (specifically Excel and Powerpoint), Google Suite (specifically Gmail, GCal, Sheets, and Slides), Calendly, Figma, Slack, Zapier, Zoom, and CRM platforms. Tech-savviness is a must.
The role offers a competitive compensation package, comprising a base salary and a performance bonus. Benefits include health insurance (with HSA eligibility), generous PTO, 401(k) retirement plans, and work-from-home flexibility.
About the application process
If this role sounds interesting to you, please submit your application here. In the interest of maintaining process consistency (and preserving a modicum of control over our calendars), we will not be doing any informal chats with candidates regarding the role.
We will begin reviewing applications the week of July 12th and will accept applications on a rolling basis beyond that. Though we hope to bring this team member on as soon as possible, we expect that this process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
If you have any questions about the application or process, please email Geri at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest; we can’t wait to meet you!
Laconia is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.