Kapor Capital is an early-stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in pre-seed and seed-stage technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low-income communities and/or communities of color or companies who are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, people operations, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 120 companies in its portfolio, including Twilio, Ginger, Aclima, Career Karma, Blocpower, Bitwise and Promise.
We are known for achieving top quartile financial returns while simultaneously creating social impact through closing gaps, as detailed in our 2019 Impact Report. Our focus on diversity and inclusion in the tech and VC ecosystem is also one of our hallmarks; we were the first venture capital firm to implement a Founders’ Commitment in 2016.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire an Investment Associate to be a member of the investment team and work closely with the partners. Candidates should have successful full-time experience working at a technology company and/or venture capital firm. Other previous entrepreneurial and/or investment experience of any kind is a significant plus, especially if related to financial services, payments, banking, or consumer finance.
- Source new investment opportunities: research prospective startups and connect with entrepreneurs
- Evaluate investment opportunities, perform quantitative and strategic analyses all within the Kapor Capital context of gap-closing, venture scale, tech businesses
- Initiate, lead, and/or participate in various ecosystem-building activities related to supporting entrepreneurs pre- and post-funding, individually, by sector, and as a portfolio (e.g. organize workshops on key topics such as product marketing, recruiting diverse talent, financial services for the underserved, etc…)
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, investors, lawyers, D&I experts, and non-profits on behalf of the firm
- Represent Kapor Capital at relevant start-up, social impact, and/or sector-specific conferences and events
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- 2-6 years of relevant work experience, preferably in an operating role (product, engineering, sales) at a startup or venture capital firm
- Commitment to social impact and supporting entrepreneurs, especially from underrepresented backgrounds and those building companies that close gaps of access and/or opportunity for low-income communities and/or communities of color.
- An inquisitive personality balanced with analytical rigor, the ability to gather and synthesize information, and draw meaningful conclusions.
Nice to Have
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with entrepreneurs and other clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with venture capital financing structures and practices, e.g. convertible debt and equity
- Strong interpersonal, communication and management skills.
- Excellent business research skills
- Previous experience working in one of our target industries (Fintech, Education, Justice, People Ops, etc..)
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to work in Oakland, CA
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories”, Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g. stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.
If interested, please apply here.