We were early investors in Uber, Airtable, The Trade Desk, Cruise, PillPack, Desktop Metal, HotelTonight, Whoop, Formlabs and over 300 other great startups. Now, we’d like to be early backers of your career.
About Founder Collective
Founder Collective is a seed-stage venture capital firm built by entrepreneurs. Our mission is to be the most aligned fund for founders at the seed stage. This informs everything we do. We keep our fund size small — approximately $280M over four funds. The GPs are the biggest LPs in the fund — we’re principals, not agents. We’re not lifecycle investors — we invest at the beginning and align our interests by diluting alongside founders over time. Everyone on the investment team has founded a startup, or massively scaled one. All these choices align our interests with the founders and make Founder Collective a unique partner for entrepreneurs.
We also believe that venture capital should come with a warning label and that themes are poor predictors of startup success. These ideas run counter to a lot of VC orthodoxy, but it has worked well for us, so far. Over the last dozen years, we’ve backed a dozen $1B+ startups, and one of our partners was #9 on this year’s Midas List.
We’re just getting started and could use your help.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for MBAs to join us in our Harvard Square and Soho offices this summer, COVID permitting, of course. You’ll be a vital part of the team and your responsibilities will include:
🧲 Sourcing deals
🤝 Meeting with founders
🔬 Driving diligence efforts
🗺️ Market analysis and model building
👋 Supporting portfolio companies
☎️ Making reference calls
🧭 Influence fund strategy via research and presentations
🤳 Tiktoking about VC (Optional, but social media savvy is a plus)
And much more…
In return, the FC team will provide significant mentorship, coaching, and feedback. We believe that the venture business is a craft that is best learned by practice. We invest heavily in our investment team, and many of our former associates have gone on to great things — starting companies, joining great startups, and launching their own VC funds.
- Startup experience: We’re looking for people who have worked at startups, and ideally, founded one.
- MBA: You must be enrolled in an MBA program, and authorized to work in the US.
- Curiosity: Student associates refresh our perspective and we want people with strong opinions and considered insights on the tech landscape.
- Self-direction: Our investment associations own big projects and we expect a high degree of self-direction and ability to move quickly.
- Open-mindedness: We invest in B2B, B2C, D2C, Hardware, FinTech, HealthTech, PropTech, basically everything from automated aquaculture to zoological DNA testing.
- Network: An established network in NYC or Boston is a big plus. This is not expected to be a remote role.
Most of all, the Associate needs to be able to build rapport with prospective and current portfolio companies and become a trusted, value-add member of our small team.
This is a paid position. The MBA Associate position is a full-time commitment for the summer and we’re looking for people who can commit 10–20 hours per week during the academic year.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a resume, links to any relevant social media profiles, and a short overview of 2–3 early-stage companies you find interesting to MBAAssociate@foundercollective.com. We look forward to meeting you!