We are living in a time where humanity seems to be approaching a fork in the road at an ever accelerating pace: One path leads to a tangible potential for prosperity and peace for all based on technological progress, increasingly liberal and open societies engaged in free global trade with less incentives for violence and war, and deploying technology to master our largest planetary challenges; another path leads to eventual self destruction based on the unravelling of lighthouse democracies, irrevocable harm to our planet, the collapse of civil dialogue, eroding national and global institutions, ever increasing economic inequality and world-destroying technologies widely proliferated amongst despots and their like.
It is within this context that we have developed a strong conviction around how entrepreneurs are using technology to improve our markets and societies, while allowing us to live in harmony with nature — through the decentralization of markets and the empowerment of humanity. We have the chance to liberate the internet from its monopolistic gatekeepers by creating a more decentralized web; we can use technology to empower the individual at a time when institutions and nation states are losing their ability to provide societies with what they need; we can use new technologies to transform the fundamental well-being and longevity of every human being; and we can deploy technology to live in harmony with our planet. Those are the opportunities that drive the BlueYard team.
We are excited to be expanding the BlueYard team with two Analyst / Associate positions (depending on experience of candidates). This is a two-year role based in Berlin (although we are currently operating in a remote first environment; and might need to remain flexible in the coming months), supporting the team in backing entrepreneurs that are decentralizing markets and empowering humanity. At the core of BlueYard is the belief that venture capital is a product for entrepreneurs, and if you are inspired by working with an intellectually curious, small and value-driven team, we want to hear from you.
The Analyst / Associate role includes:
- Identifying technologies and trends that will positively impact economies and societies and represent attractive venture investment opportunities
- Carrying out market and company due diligence on investment opportunities
- Working with our portfolio companies to support them
- Helping with our community management and events
- Supporting with fund reporting and analyses
- Working directly with the two General Partners, embedded in a small team, allowing for a steep learning curve and significant exposure to the entrepreneurial ecosystem
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A strong understanding of and passion for up- and down-stack web technologies and internet services, engineering or science (biology, medicine, chemistry, material science, physics, etc)
- We’re exploring areas such as A Decentralized and Encrypted Web, Humans & Algorithms, Quantum Computing, The Future Of Biology and combating Climate Breakdown — those are the type of topics you should feel comfortable exploring
- Self-(fire)starters — be able to run on your own, identify opportunities and prioritise without much guidance
- The ability to clearly articulate thoughts and opinions about markets and companies, both in written and spoken form
- Strong interpersonal skills — happy to work extensively within the team and with entrepreneurs
- Ability to carry out market and financial analyses
- Native (or close to) English language skills both written and oral
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves
There is no ideal background for this role and a formal degree is not required. We however think that the role will be most suitable for folks with a few years of work experience (and will be a consideration regarding Analyst or Associate position) and with a track record of working in web technologies, science or engineering — or folks that have investing or consulting experience in these fields.
If you are interested in the position please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your CV
- If applicable, a collection of links that best characterize your online presence
Our process will then be as follows:
- After initial screening we will invite selected candidates for a video interview
- We will then invite a limited group of candidates for a personal interview with both the team and our entrepreneurs in Berlin (or remote as appropriate for health safety)
- A decision will be made shortly thereafter