Authentic Ventures is a different kind of VC fund. We are based in Oakland, California, and get particularly excited about discovering and supporting diverse talent. We focus on seed and early-stage investments (mostly software), and approximately 50% of our investments to date have been in companies led by women or minority founders. We have developed an extensive and diverse network (the Authentic Network) of engineers, operating executives, founders, investors, and company builders that help us source, vet, and support the companies and founders we invest in.
Authentic Ventures is seeking an investment associate with a demonstrated background in and a passion for technology and venture capital. This is an opportunity to work directly with the founder and General Partner of the firm. You will be responsible for assisting in the diligence and evaluation of new investment opportunities and industries. You will also be responsible for engaging with Authentic Ventures network members and peers at other venture firms. You will also assist in the oversight and value creation activities of our portfolio companies. We are a dynamic and entrepreneurial team, focused on finding and supporting great companies and great founders.
This position is based in Oakland, California and our office is located in the Uptown area of downtown Oakland. During periods of social distancing, this position is remote.
● In-Depth Investment research: perform in-depth market research for specific industries of interest.
● Opportunity screening: call or meet with prospects, evaluate new investment opportunities and analyze and synthesize data supplied by portfolio companies.
● Monitor and Report: provide regular reporting to the GP on portfolio performance and prospective investment company updates.
● Due diligence and deal support: perform diligence on companies, markets, and management teams; when appropriate, build pro forma operating models and provide support in connection with deals, terms, and related documentation.
● Internal communication: help manage and develop the deal pipeline; prepare internal investment memos and recommendations when appropriate.
● Portfolio management: provide support and value-added assistance to our portfolio companies, including financial modeling and analysis, preparing decks, and researching prospective investors or partners; activate the Authentic Network to help our companies grow and succeed.
● Relationship Management: develop and maintain strong positive relationships with entrepreneurs, peers at other investment firms and operators; assist in the management and maintenance of the Authentic Network.
You are self-aware, entrepreneurial, and resourceful. You are an exceptional communicator with a high EQ. You look for ways to create value and contribute enthusiastically wherever needed. You don’t need a lot of hand-holding to be productive. You’re mature, with a strong work ethic that demonstrates initiative, humility, and integrity. You constantly strive to learn and improve. You are a good listener with excellent project management and communication skills. Your peers recognize you as a highly professional and proactive team player – you get things done.
● 4 years+ of relevant professional experience. Examples of relevant experience include work at a venture firm, corporate venture division, investment bank, family office, venture debt firm, technology-related management consulting firm, or as a venture-backed startup company founder.
● The ability to evaluate new technologies and technical products.
● Experience working with and developing a rapport with entrepreneurs.
● Fluency in standard venture terms and concepts; experience with deal negotiation and documentation.
● Fluency with data manipulation, financial models, cap tables, and presentations.
Optional Experience (But a Plus)
● Existing relationships with high potential founders.
● Technical, Engineering or Product Management background.
● MBA from top-tier business school.
Authentic-Ventures welcomes applicants of all genders and races and strives to create a highly inclusive and diverse work environment.
More about Authentic Ventures
Authentic Ventures was formed in 2016 with the goal of generating exceptional returns by building a network around highly talented but often overlooked operators and founders. Although we invest in all founders (irrespective of race or gender), our highly inclusive network over-indexes to women and people of color. We are looking for talented, values-aligned talent to grow our tight-knit team as we scale our asset base in our second fund.
Send your resume and a cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org.