At Foundry, we take a network-driven approach to investing in early-stage tech companies and venture capital funds across the US and Canada. We believe in the accelerating power of innovation, networks, and capital to change the world by empowering the next generation of founders and investors. Foundry’s investment team works closely with our portfolio of more than 40 early-stage venture capital firms (what we call our Partner Funds) to identify direct investment opportunities in our network’s most high-potential startups. We’re excited to grow our investment team to support this work.
Opportunity for Impact
This is a multi-faceted role where you will develop networks while evaluating investment opportunities in both venture capital funds and early-stage technology companies. You’ll also get our support to explore and develop the skills and experiences you’ll need to be successful in whatever you might want to pursue next. This is a 2-year role at Foundry, and we hope it will provide successful analysts with a path to operating positions in our direct portfolio or an opportunity to migrate into our Partner Fund portfolio. We expect a tremendous amount from our analyst role, but we believe it is a great opportunity to get started in the venture capital business.
Role and Responsibilities
- Enhance & maintain Foundry’s investment tracking, processes, and tools by identifying opportunities to continually improve how we do our work.
- Analyze and review the financial performance of funds, along with direct and secondary investments on a historical and go-forward basis. In addition, you will help evolve and enhance our reporting by identifying areas of opportunity.
- Provide thorough, insightful, and efficient due diligence, including financial analysis & modeling, market research, and competitive analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of fundraising documents, investment memos, and investor updates.
- Support the firm in preparing and reviewing special reporting for meeting materials, marketing materials, and ad-hoc limited partner requests.
- Support the financial analysis of funds, directs, and secondaries, measuring historical performance against projected future performance, building model portfolios for ~ 75 venture funds with quarterly or semi-annual pricing updates to ensure end-of-day outcomes for funds are accurately projected. You will assist in sourcing and pricing secondary LP interests from Partner Funds.
- Assist with mapping out current and future portfolio construction to monitor fund pacing.
- Leverage software solutions to increase efficiencies within the performance reporting process.
- As a scrappy member of the team, you will also be asked to lend a hand on any other projects or activities where help is needed, including reporting for our investors, working with portfolio companies, and supporting firm operations.
We’re always looking for ways to add a new perspective to our team and we are excited to meet you! We offer the below as a guide but not a requirement. We encourage you to apply and let us know what you’ll bring to the role.
- At least 2 years of prior experience, preferably from within venture capital, a venture-backed startup, equity research, investment banking, or management consulting.
- Strong research and writing skills with a focus on the ability to clearly and concisely articulate a complex thesis.
- Strong quantitative skills with a focus on building models and working in databases.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Interest in learning more about venture capital and technology markets.
- Highly motivated, self-starter.
- Demonstrated passion for entrepreneurship and technology.
- Naturally curious and hungry to learn and develop as a human and an investor.
- Humble, kind, and hard-working.
- Care about quality and are detail-oriented while also being able to see the big picture.
- Organized, diligent, and systematic.
- By default, this role is expected to be based in Boulder, CO, but we are open to remote considerations.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Compensation and Benefits
We anticipate paying a salary in the range of $60,000 to $90,000 for this position, depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. In addition, Foundry Group provides a benefits package that includes, among other things, health care insurance (100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums paid), life insurance, a 401(K) retirement plan, paid parental leave after birth or adoption, and unlimited vacation and sick leave.
Foundry Group is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply, please submit your resume and brief answers (100 words max) to each of the following questions to email@example.com.
1. Why are you excited about this role and joining Foundry?
2. What is your favorite Foundry portfolio company and why?
3. How have you been entrepreneurial in your life?
4. What’s an industry trend that you’re interested in and why?
5. What’s one interesting thing about you that isn’t on your resume?
If interested, please apply here.