Emerson Collective deploys a wide range of tools — from impact investing to philanthropy to advocacy — in pursuit of a more equal and just America. We focus on creating systemic change in education, immigration, climate, and cancer research and treatment. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, we work to create new possibilities for individuals and communities. Emerson Collective is impatient but optimistic, and bold but pragmatic in its approach. To meet the ambitious goals of its founder, Emerson Collective is seeking colleagues with both the audacity to dream up new ways to improve the world, and the determination to make them a reality.
The Venture team invests in mission-driven leaders building technology companies that are creating innovative solutions to the world’s biggest problems. The companies are at the intersection of positive financial returns and scalable long-term social impact. We invest in the following sectors, financial technology, digital health, agriculture technology, government technology, education technology, the future of work, longevity, and digital media. As a key member of the Portfolio Support group, you will partner with Emerson Collective’s portfolio companies by building out supportive efforts and services to help them achieve impact at scale and grow their enterprise value. This role reports to the Director of Portfolio Services, collaborates with other Venture team members and cross-functionally across Emerson Collective.
Role and Responsibilities
- Prepare, buildout, and update portfolio company resources and products, up to and including writing our weekly portfolio company newsletter, developing new information guides and playbooks, updating existing playbooks and content, and developing a portfolio company portal.
- Create systems and processes to assess our portfolio company needs and help improve efficiencies in their support operations.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis and prepare presentations that communicate your findings in a clear, concise manner.
- Design, plan and execute regular events and workshops to foster learning and strengthen community among our portfolio companies, up to and including managing internal and external communications, external vendors and partners, invite lists and RSVPs, event systems and tools (eg. Splash and Salesforce), and follow-up resources.
- Moderate and manage a digital community for our portfolio companies (eg listserv or Slack channel).
- Funnel resources to companies to help build an inclusive people processes.
- Lead in the use of Salesforce and implementing new ways of using it that uncover insights and assist in our team working effectively.
- Continuously seek opportunities to improve our team and companies’ processes and interactions, as we help build more equitable and inclusive companies.
- Build relationships across the Collective and its broader network to facilitate collaboration opportunities with our team, portfolio companies, and initiatives.
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in a startup, venture capital, and/or a technology company.
- You have a deep commitment and passion for technology and startups that are making a positive impact.
- You have a demonstrated interest in supporting a diverse range of purpose-driven entrepreneurs who are solving important, complex problems and a strong sense of empathy for these entrepreneurs.
- You produce thorough and concise quantitative and qualitative analyses to form opinions about specific topics and summarize your findings. You can analyze quantitative data in Excel and other database tools.
- You communicate directly, empathetically, and concisely in both written and verbal form. You are a strong writer and can distill complex and lengthy information.
- You thrive in entrepreneurial environments and are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and/or incomplete information and adjusting course in response to feedback and information.
- You respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and are able to operationalize them after looking at them from multiple perspectives. You consider the opportunities, risks, creative alternatives, and possible paths forward. You are detail oriented.
- You are a collaborative team player with high integrity and work ethic, inviting different perspectives into your work, and are committed to improving yourself and others by seeking and delivering continuous feedback.
- You are fluent and curious about online tools and platforms and have the ability to effectively leverage digital tools.
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Experience with Keynote, Salesforce, Splash and SurveyMonkey is preferred.
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Chicago, New York, Oakland, Palo Alto and Washington, D.C. This position is located in Palo Alto.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our mission and values as we strive to create systematic change and open possibilities for all of the communities we serve. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
If interested, please apply here.