Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic. We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has nearly $16.5B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $865M Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Apeel, Coinbase, Figma, Freenome, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
The TxO Initiative is an investment fund (managed in conjunction with our nonprofit partner Tides), accelerator, and network managed by Andreessen Horowitz
Culture and technology are two of America’s most important and enduring exports. Over the last few decades, we’ve built and refined an ecosystem for scaling technology companies: from patient capital for all stages of a business, to deeply interconnected talent networks, to open source software and company-building best practices.
But the ecosystem for cultural breakthroughs is much less developed. When we speak with company builders, they often complain about how sparse the ecosystem is, with spotty access to capital and mentorship, a lack of systematic training, and a much less well developed set of company building blocks.
Our goal with the TxO Initiative is to help emerging cultural geniuses by providing them access to a new system of funding, training, and mentorship that helps these entrepreneurs build durable, successful companies around their cultural innovations. (See the first cohort of TxO companies for living, breathing examples of what we mean by “culture breakthroughs”.)
As the TxO Deal Analyst, you’ll help find and select companies to admit to the TxO Initiative (note: this is a separate fund and team from the other Andreessen Horowtiz venture funds). You’ll build and cultivate a network of active, high quality referrers, meet with entrepreneurs to assess fit, and work with the TxO directors to help decide which teams we should work with. You’ll also be building out other networks that are helpful to the program, including mentors, downstream investors, and supporters—but the most important network you’ll be building is our referrer network. You’ll also work due diligence for investment candidates.
To Join Our Team, You Should Be Excited To
- Source founders & companies. Find high quality candidates for the TxO program by cultivating a network of referrers, looking at quantitative data (e.g., trending Instagram and TikTok influencers), and creative outreach to targeted founders. Along the way, the analyst needs to deliver a first class experience with everyone they come into contact with.
- Help select companies. You will help the program directors select the most promising candidates by doing relevant, timely due diligence. Specific tasks might include calling customers, checking references, fact checking, running background checks, and related tasks.
- Nurture a network of referrers, subject matter experts, and downstream investors. You will maintain a set of “pick up the phone” relationships with a network of people important to the program. The most meaningful part of the network will be referrers (people who can introduce us to candidate companies), but other parts of the network are relevant as well: mentors, corporate partners, downstream investors, and others.
- Systematically build data sets and actionable insights. The analyst will work with the program manager to track, report, and act on the data that results from all our interactions with founders. How are we doing in serving our key stakeholders? How can we do it more optimally and efficiently?
- 1-3 years investing experience as an angel investor or at an early stage investing fund, accelerator, or incubator; alternatively, 1-3 years of experience of operating experience in a company that looks like a TxO company (built around a cultural breakthrough, which might include consumer packaged goods, digital goods, marketplaces, and others)
- Deeply networked with startup founders and investors who would be good TxO teams. If you don’t have a deep network, you need proven network building and management experience
- Strong analytical capabilities with high attention to detail and excellent communication skills (both written, verbal)
- Enjoys capturing and analyzing data to guide decision making
- Great interpersonal skills including communication and EQ
- Hands on experience using Google Workspace and Salesforce; experience with Looker reporting experience is a plus
- Thrives in rapidly changing environments: has a growth mindset, and genuinely enjoys improving themselves the teams around them
- Learn more about our culture here
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
If interested, please apply here.