Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY , is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony’s principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Mobile Communications (USA) Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC., Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., Sony Music Entertainment, and Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC. With some 900 million Sony devices in hands and homes worldwide today, a vast array of Sony movies, television shows and music, and the PlayStation Network, Sony creates and delivers more entertainment experiences to more people than anyone else on earth. To learn more: http://www.sony.com .
Sony Innovation Fund (SIF) is seeking a Senior Manager to join its global Emerging Technologies team in San Francisco Bay Area.
Reporting to the Managing Director-US and working alongside the global sector teams, this person will engage in all stages of investment activity from sourcing to due diligence to deal execution. Responsibilities also include thesis development as well as strategic and market analysis.
Experience, knowledge, and network within the broader tech industry and venture community is highly desired. Technology background and curiosity is a must.
Sony Innovation Fund (SIF) is the corporate venture capital arm of Sony, which has been actively investing in breakthrough start-ups across the globe. The group has a clear mandate to identify, scout and bet on new horizons for Sony.
To date, SIF has invested in 80+ startups in North America, Europe, Israel, Japan and India covering major ecosystems such as Mobility, Drones, Entertainment Tech, Healthcare, FinTech, Sports Tech, Food Tech and other emerging technologies. The team oversees two venture investment vehicles – a $100M early-stage fund as well as a $160M mid/late-stage fund.
Beyond the core investment activity, the SIF team actively supports portfolio company growth such as by providing access to Sony’s business groups and partners and orchestrating collaboration on the business and technology fronts.
For more information, check out http://www.sonyinnovationfund.com
We are currently seeking an experienced and driven individual to join our investment team. Key responsibilities include:
- Identifying and evaluating emerging industry trends and articulating solid investment theses based on technological, financial, business and strategic analysis
- Supporting the entire investment process from sourcing to deal execution
- Performing business and financial due diligence by evaluating strategic, operational and financial parameters, collaborating with legal and finance partners and business units as well as driving deal execution throughout, including development of effective investment committee presentations.
- Post-deal management and monitoring of investments, helping portfolio companies with their strategic and growth prospects and exploring strategic partnerships between Sony and startups when relevant.
- Developing and nurturing strong relations with venture and entrepreneur-driven communities, primarily in North America.
- Domain Expertise: Emerging technology themes. Knowledge of AI, Robotics, AgTech, Sustainability/Environment is an added plus
- Location: San Francisco Bay Area (San Jose); No relocation available
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree with a Master’s degree preferred. Strong preference for demonstrated technical/technology background.
- Must have 5-10 years of related work experience in one or more of the following: investing roles at a PE/VC firm, technology investment banking, management consulting, operating experience in strategy/business development/finance/product in a technology-focused growth business or startup.
- Deep understanding of market and technology trends to develop market landscapes and overviews of startups and incumbent players.
- Strong analytical skills with ample experience in assessing businesses and technologies in both a qualitative and quantitative manner and developing detailed financial models and valuations.
- Solid understanding of VC industry dynamics, drivers and key players. Strong network with peers in a relevant domain is preferred.
- Requires a deep passion, curiosity, and instinct for technology and innovation
- Strong negotiation skills driven by solid written and verbal communications, with the ability to synthesize complex domains into clear and actionable recommendations.
- Self-driven and motivated with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing multiple projects at once while working both independently and as part of a global team.
- Previous experience(s) in investment and portfolio management in one or more of the emphasized domains is preferred.
- Must be authorized to work in the USA
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, military status, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or family status, genetic information, medical condition, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, ordinance, or regulation.
Disability Accommodation for Applicants to Sony Corporation of America
Sony Corporation of America provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. For reasonable accommodation requests, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Sony Corporation of America, Human Resources Department, 25 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010. Please indicate the position you are applying for.
If interested, please apply here.