Full Job Description
- 3+ years of experience and knowledge working directly in the startup, corporate venture capital or corporate innovation ecosystem.
- 5+ years of experience working within the technology industry (software, IaaS, SaaS, ecommerce, venture investing in technology startups, etc.)
- 10+ years of operating experience in senior business development at a startup, venture capital, or in executive leadership roles.
- BA Degree required.
Location is flexible with access to a major airport for travel purposes.
Would you like to develop and manage relationships with Corporate Venture Capitalists (VC) and Corporate Innovation groups of our most strategic enterprises and their highest potential startups to drive digital innovation and transformation and ensure AWS is fully engaged as an early innovation and venture partner? Are you a customer-obsessed individual with a passion for understanding the underlying business and investment needs of your customers and inventing and scaling mechanisms that unlock value for their business and for their end customers? Do you enjoy launching and scaling executive programs that foster executive trust while collaborating cross-functionally with internal stakeholders and leaders? Do you have the business savvy, technical insight, relationship development skills, to mesh with the corporate venture executives and corporate venture-backed startups to help further establish Amazon as the leader in the cloud computing?
As a Principal Corporate Venture Capital BD within AWS, you will have an exciting opportunity to help shape and deliver on the strategy to build mindshare and broaden the use of Amazon’s cloud computing platform with corporate venture-backed startups and their parent enterprises. Your responsibilities will include driving the necessary business, strategic and technical relationships with corporate venture and innovation groups and their portfolio companies, to establish meaningful strategic outcomes for AWS. Successful candidates will have a first-hand understanding of the core success enablers and blockers associated with customers’ venture and digital innovation initiatives, and can adeptly engage executive audiences to help them understand how AWS teams, services and offerings can enable success in differentiated ways to innovate at the pace of startups. Proven skills and experiences in creating influential strategy and compelling executive messaging is a must. You must also be adept at working internally in an entrepreneurial environment, working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders including enterprise and startup sales teams, vertical GTM specialists, partner development, Digital Innovation specialists, service teams, corporate development, corporate BD, professional services, marketing, PR and operations. You will also act as a critical interface to corporate venture and corporate innovation ecosystem for all facets of AWS and Amazon.
The ideal candidate will possess both the enterprise innovation background, startup operator or corporate venture experience that enables them to drive engagement, and effectively interact at the Venture Partner/CxO/VP level with enterprise and startup executives, as well as a technical background that allows them to effectively engage with software developers and architects. They should also have a demonstrated ability to research sector agnostic trends, think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and collaborate cross-organizationally to execute projects. A keen sense of curiosity, ownership, drive, and bias for action is a must. They will also possess a passion for new and emerging technologies, vertical investment trends and how they can shape the future.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the Startup BD team to promote AWS’s access, programs and resources in the startup and investor ecosystem to help key strategic corporate customers and drive overall AWS market share.
- Work with enterprise sales team to identify and qualify key strategic corporates.
- Develop and manage relationships with corporate venture and corporate innovation groups to educate them on how AWS can help them accelerate their corporate innovation agenda and help their portfolio companies scale and grow by leveraging AWS services and go-to-market programs.
- Work with corporate venture partners, CIOs and innovation executives as their single point of contact for all things AWS and Amazon, helping them understand AWS’ benefits and where there may be exciting opportunities for their parent enterprises and portfolio startups
- Own, tailor and scale the AWS Corporate Innovation team’s existing engagement programs for strategic customers
- Assemble and manage the virtual team necessary to successfully progress Corporate Innovation engagements (e.g., sales, vertical GTM, Proserve, services teams, marketing, legal, customer support, etc.).
- Develop and scale net new initiatives that best meet customer and AWS needs
- (Co-)lead engagements with highest-priority customers, conduct customer briefings, and present at customer events
- Act as trusted advisor and thought leader in the development and commercial execution of strategic corporate venture, innovation and startup incubation opportunities
- Work with and advise sales/account management teams on solution selling, uncover customer innovation priorities, deepen executive relationships in their accounts and tailor AWS account planning
- Support scaling and improvement efforts for program operations, efficiency and processes
- Effectively track and articulate the value of engagements underway and major wins in close partnership with enterprise and startup sales teams
- Some Travel required
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have twelve employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Several years of startup operating experience and/or corporate venture investment experience.
- Capacity to handle the fast pace and continually evolving cloud computing market.
- Strong verbal and written communications and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations.
- MBA or equivalent executive level experience.
- Relevant business level technical knowledge of public cloud computing and the value proposition it provides to startups and enterprises, with the ability to go deep enough on technical aspects to differentiate between various AWS services.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
IF interested, please apply here.