OpenView is a leading venture capital firm with a focus on expansion stage software companies. While you may not know us, we bet you know our portfolio: Calendly, Expensify, and Datadog just to name a few. Our mission to improve people’s working lives permeates everything we do – from our investment strategy and how we work with our portfolio to firm operations and how we support our employees. At OpenView, you will be surrounded by intelligent, innovative, creative people who strive to make a difference.
What we’re looking for
The Growth Practice is responsible for defending and strengthening OpenView’s status as experts in building an expansion stage software company. Specifically, the team advises OpenView’s portfolio leaders to help them attract and retain more of the right customers.
We’re looking for someone who can proactively drive growth initiatives that improve enterprise value for the OpenView portfolio. This individual will be given flexibility to lead strategic projects from idea to implementation across a variety of topic areas. The individual will also help us identify new trends and keep portfolio companies at the forefront of this quickly changing landscape. This year it’s all about Product Led Growth (check out our work on this growth strategy here), but we know the future will bring new and exciting challenges. Recent portfolio engagements include:
- Optimizing pricing & packaging to increase revenue
- Prioritizing customer segments & use cases for more efficient customer acquisition
- Increasing conversion through the funnel by identifying friction points
- Identifying the next vectors of growth and how to get there
You’ll own the delivery of work products including day-to-day interaction with VP and C-Level executives, conducting research, developing deliverables and providing recommendations. Some days you will be on-site with a company leadership team to develop a strategic plan. Other days, you might be writing content for our blog, planning an event or preparing a new keynote talk.
We’re a small team working with a lot of companies on a variety of initiatives. We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a team and is excited to dig in and help – wherever needed.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Scoping projects, designing work plans and leading strategic projects to timely and effective completion
- Building relationships with portfolio leadership to be seen as a trusted advisor
- Positioning yourself as a thought leader
- Building a network of experts to continually uplevel skills – your own and the portfolio’s
- Conducting primary and secondary research such as online research, survey design and implementation, and market interviews
- Analyzing survey data, customer data, internal databases or third party data sources using Excel and other data management tools
- Synthesizing and processing insights to transform complex findings/analyses into concise recommendations
- Developing and delivering project presentations and models in PowerPoint and Excel
- Collaborating effectively with other teams, including the investment team, internal marketing, talent and executive networking
- Creating compelling content – articles, podcasts, ebooks, keynote presentations, benchmarks, etc. – in conjunction with our marketing team
The right candidate has 6-12 years of experience in one or more of the following roles:
- Strategy consulting at a top tier firm
- Operating at a B2B SaaS company that has seen rapid scale, ideally with exposure to Product Led Growth
- Supporting portfolio companies at a VC or private equity firm
And possesses the following attributes:
- Low ego, high EQ and have a great attitude and team-first mentality
- Intellectually curious and have a passion for analyzing markets, products and organizations in a data-driven, research-oriented manner
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to build sustaining relationships with C-level executives
- Comfortable adapting to new circumstances, failing fast and learning quickly
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills
If interested, please apply here.