Cowboy Ventures is looking to bring on an Investment Associate to our small but mighty team.
This is an incredible apprenticeship opportunity to be part of fast-paced, close-knit and fun-loving team, while gaining extraordinary exposure to all facets of venture capital, working closely with a curated group of early-stage startups, building your network, and playing a valued role in the growth and success of a world-class seed fund.
Candidates should be fast-learners with a unique blend of situational judgment, detail and service orientation, communication skills, hustle, and emotional intelligence.
THIS ROLE HAS THREE MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Help our team evaluate and identify new technologies & venture opportunities
2. Help our team provide world class support to our portfolio companies
3. Help with other general venture firm activities
1) Help our team evaluate new technologies & venture opportunities
Cowboy Ventures is fortunate to receive a high volume of inbound opportunities to evaluate, in addition to proactively learning about important technology and societal trends. In this role, you’ll evaluate a broad array of technology driven startups and trends, escalate promising companies and trends to dive deeper on, perform strategic due diligence (including financial analysis, financial modeling, market research, customer interviews), and work with members of our team to make and execute investment decisions (including working on term sheets, and helping oversee financial and legal processes for new investments). Additionally, you will help identify new venture opportunities through sourcing activities (though sourcing is a secondary focus in this role).
2) Help our team provide world class support to our portfolio companies
Cowboy Ventures aims to deliver best-in-class strategic and operational support to accelerate portfolio company success. In this role, you’ll partner with our team to work closely with portfolio companies. You’ll understand and contribute to achieving their strategic priorities including helping with recruiting, financial planning, customer and advisor introductions, product road mapping, competitive intelligence, and helping with successful follow on financings.
3) Help with other general venture firm activities
In this role, you’ll collaborate cross-functionally with other team members to drive projects to completion, with a “no task too big or too small” demeanor. Projects and ongoing responsibilities might include helping to model our investment portfolio; helping plan and prepare for a strategy offsite; LP communications; research and writing to help support external speaking events; comparing notes with peers at other VC firms; helping build and maintain key relationships; helping prepare for regular investment team meetings; and following up on action items deemed important by colleagues.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS
Cowboy Ventures values a mix of incisive thinking, hustle, humility, humor, creative thinking, proactivity, emotional intelligence and results. These values must shine through in all the Investment Associate at Cowboy Ventures does.
– 2+ years prior full time work experience, either in tech-focused venture capital, growth equity, management consulting, investment banking, finance at a start-up, or a blend of prior work experiences.
– A track record supporting and partnering successfully with executive-level operators
– Digital fluency, a passion for technology, and prior exposure to tech and/or the tech investing ecosystem
– A track record of being a standout colleague, with a high sense of urgency balanced with strong attention to detail, quality orientation and organizational skills
– A proven track record to thrive in an unstructured environment through resourcefulness, high efficiency and work ethic
– Outstanding and concise written and verbal communication skills
– Someone who is comfortable executing with little direction and/or structure, and who will pro-actively ask for clarification or direction when needed
– Outstanding EQ (emotional intelligence) and the ability to anticipate needs and expectations
– A sense of humor, empathy for others, and confidence with humility
– The ability to communicate and collaborate with the utmost integrity, and to maintain trusted confidences, with all internal and external partners
If interested, please apply here.