We uplift people and economies around the world through entrepreneurship.
Who We Are
We have backed more than 2,500 companies or 5,000+ entrepreneurs in 75+ countries. Notable investments in the 500 portfolio include Credit Karma, Twilio, Canva, Grab, Bukalapak, The RealReal, Talkdesk, Udemy, and Ipsy. Because of our global network and expertise, we are in a unique position to build startups ecosystems worldwide.
Beyond providing seed capital, 500 supports startups via their Seed Accelerator Programs which emphasize digital marketing, customer acquisition, lean startup practices, and fundraising for pre-Seed companies. 500 Startups further contributes to the development of innovation ecosystems by supporting startups and investors through educational programs, events, conferences, and partnerships with corporations and governments around the world.
What We Need
As a Research Analyst, you will support Project Managers and Directors on 500’s Corporate Growth Team to conduct market research on startup technologies and industry transformation, synthesize and compile insights into client briefs and business collateral, support project delivery, and client management, and collaborate with 500’s Corporate Executives-in-Residence.
What You Will Be Doing
- Conduct market and industry research on latest venture and corporate innovation trends with an eye towards understanding interests of 500’s Corporate audience
- Synthesize and compile insights into succinct and persuasively written thought pieces
- Analyze startup performance across priority industries; meet with startup founders; and provide an initial assessment on fit with the Corporates’ needs
- Corporate Workshop Planning
- Prepare workshop material (program agenda and frameworks) with Corporate stakeholders
- Assist in day-of logistics for key training and workshops with senior level Corporate stakeholders (e.g., recruitment of expert speakers)
- Plan follow-on private demonstrations or introductory meetings with startups and Corporates post-workshop
- Project Support
- Support Corporate Growth project teams with delivery, as necessary, including — but not limited to — developing workshop materials (e.g., best practices for Innovation Problem Statement or Startup Sourcing methodologies), conducting stakeholder analysis, drafting summative and interim reports and briefs, and creating project management systems
- Contribute to overall success of each project by supporting Project Managers in program design, including timeline, key milestones, sub-workstreams, and sign-offs from clients. This includes gathering and analyzing information, designing charts and timelines e.g. Gantt Charts, taking notes and tracking stakeholder input, and managing formatting and aesthetics of the document.
- Contribute to post-project review of key learnings and what could be improved. This includes developing surveys for feedback from different parties, and populating the report that captures all takeaways for partner organizations.
- Assist Corporate Executives-in-Residence with startup outreach and research and development of Corporate Growth program assets
- Meet, assess, and recruit experts from the 500 Startups network and beyond to participate in roundtables and meetings related to corporate innovation and the startup ecosystem
- Participate in weekly check ins and regular team meetings
- Service Development
- Support Corporate Growth Team in implementing the end-to-end Service Development process, which may include helping conduct user interviews, gathering and analyzing data, and creating debrief materials.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in research, market and trends analysis, opportunities landscaping and use of different analytical frameworks to inform commercial decisions and advise senior leaders in key industries (e.g., technology and venture capital, consulting, financial services)
- Emergent understanding of or experience researching decentralized finance and fintech trends; new risk management models such as new lending technologies; SaaS and other subscription business models; and sustainability and cleantech
- Sufficient understanding of the innovation ecosystems (i.e., major venture capital firms, types of innovation business and operating models, key startups across different industries)
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communications skills (i.e., have written memos, drafted presentations to mid-senior or senior leaders)
- Highly focused, yet adaptable, self-driven, and organized with superior attention to detail
- Comfortable with ambiguity and curious about new technologies and business models
- Enthusiastic team player who inspires and helps people around you become even better
- Looking to channel your curiosity and passion for innovation into bridging the knowledge gap between Silicon Valley and the world’s growing tech ecosystems
- Excited about working in a diverse environment with different types of people from around the world speaking different languages, exhibiting cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Sufficiently prepared to comment about the state of progress of the startup ecosystem around the world and/or in specific regions
- Based in the US through duration of the contract
- Flexible working across time zones
Nice to have
- Experience working internationally and/or with remote teams
- Experience working with corporate innovation initiatives (e.g., Proofs-of-Concepts, Pilots, Venture Studios)
- Familiarity with cross-cultural business
- Experience running online workshops for senior stakeholders
- Can start immediately