Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
The Senior Director, Corporate Development & Impact Investing works closely with department leadership and leaders throughout ECMC Group to develop strategies to drive growth and impact through mission aligned investment opportunities, organic growth initiatives, partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, or other strategic uses of capital. This role is suited for a passionate, experienced, and entrepreneurial professional to take on a leadership role and greater responsibility within a corporate development and investment function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to the SVP and partner with team leadership to lead Education Impact Fund (“EIF”), corporate development, and strategic growth initiatives.
- Leader in execution of $250M EIF, including the refining the fund’s investment thesis and approach and leadership role in deal sourcing, transaction execution, and portfolio management and governance.
- Develop robust acquisition and investment strategies/theses to proactively identify, cultivate, and evaluate actionable impact investment, M&A, and partnership opportunities that are aligned to EIF and Group strategies.
- Provide hands-on leadership and support for all aspects of transaction activity – deal origination and sourcing, assessment of key market trends and dynamics, development of financial, qualitative, operating, and valuation analyses, due diligence, preparation of investment recommendations, structuring and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Actively collaborate with C-level management of portfolio companies and potential investments, including acting as a voting Board Member or Board Observer for ECMC Group portfolio investments.
- Develop and review memos and supporting presentations for EIF, corporate development and other strategic growth activities; as required, communicate and present to executive leadership, the Board of Directors, and Investment Committee for recommendations and approval.
- Execute and provide post-acquisition integration and operational support to ensure alignment and execution.
- Work with external advisors and consultants as needed for strategic or transaction support, and as customary to complete sound diligence practices.
- Develop recommendations and strategic/tactical plans based on business data and market knowledge for current businesses and potential business development opportunities.
- Build, implement, and continually improve team’s processes, models, workflows, and strategies for corporate development and impact investment activities.
- Manage or mentor junior team members responsible for partnering in execution of above stated goals and responsibilities.
- Develop and nurture strategic relationships with top level venture investors and other ecosystem partners, as well as represent EIF and ECMC Group externally, including at conferences, on investor and industry panels, in press releases, and other forums.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field
- 8+ years’ work experience. Work experience must be in strategy, finance or investment fields, including venture capital, private equity, investment banking, management consulting, corporate development, or in a product or technical role at a startup
- Experience supporting complex M&A transactions and investments end-to-end, covering all aspects of diligence, negotiation, structuring, and drafting of non-binding and definitive legal documents
- Exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to craft compelling investment theses, recommendations, and presentations that lead to decision-maker buy-in
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, entrepreneurs, investors, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellent analytical abilities, financial modeling skills and advanced knowledge of financial and accounting theory
- Experience succeeding within a collaborative, fast-paced, results-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and think creatively to deliver high quality, thoughtful, and accurate work in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize, plan, and lead projects, regularly communicating progress to appropriate stakeholders
- Mastery of Microsoft Office suite, including the ability to perform advanced analytics in Excel and create articulate presentations in PowerPoint
- Work experience in education or workforce development related field
- MBA from top tier graduate school
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a multitude of ongoing projects and priorities and navigate through ambiguous and challenging situations to establish clear objectives, timelines, and deliverables
- Demonstrated experience in impact investing and the education industry
Up to 25% of the time.
If interested, please apply here.