New Community Transformation Fund (NCTF) has retained Management Business Solutions to be a value-add partner to their recruitment for their Managing Director opening. As a solution-based staffing organization, we have aligned our processes to mirror NCTF’s talent strategies to identify, screen, and recruit qualified candidates.
Overview of NCTF:
NCTF is a unique and transformational Venture Capital investment firm located in Grand Rapids, MI. NCTF has launched an unprecedented endeavor to invest in scalable early to mid-stage businesses and succession companies that are either founded or being acquired by entrepreneurs of color. These investments provide dynamic opportunities for multi-generational wealth creation within historically disadvantaged groups in West Michigan. The industries of interest include advanced manufacturing, food processing and agribusiness, life sciences and medical devices, and information technology. This fund will invest in both current and prospective West Michigan companies, but will require founders and portfolio companies to locate and operate in West Michigan.
The Position Overview:
The Managing Director will oversee the business operation and provide its overall strategic direction. This role will be responsible for setting goals and objectives, supervising daily activities, monitoring performance, and driving portfolio growth. The ideal Managing Director will have experience in a sophisticated client-facing role with exceptional written and verbal communication skills and can tactically guide daily business operations with all parties to achieve organizational goals and objectives. This role’s key competencies include a deep understanding of core financial concepts and venture financing with strong analytical skills and reasoning abilities.
- Develop a complete understanding of an emerging company by evaluating its market opportunity, competition, product, sales and growth, operations, financial statements and projections, management strength, equity needs, and capital structure.
- Responsible for leading efforts to raise additional Limited Partner (LP)capital.
- Provide hands-on leadership for all aspects of investment activity – from origination to exit – to invest a significant amount of capital annually into high-quality opportunities.
- Discover and validate business opportunities, establish an investment case, and structure and negotiate terms for potential investments to increase product leverage and retention.
- Cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships with various business leaders, banks, entrepreneurs, and investors within the West Michigan community.
- Maintain necessary records and control over fund information flow and activities, including capital calls and distributions.
- Perform complex financial analysis and modeling when working with businesses.
- Work with and support portfolio companies, including attending board meetings and monitoring performance to ensure returns and strategic objectives are achieved.
- Evaluate and review partnership agreements and make recommendations as needed.
- Identify, hire, and manage operational and administrative staff while developing, coaching, and retaining individuals.
- Effectively communicate a deep understanding of our transformational platform with an Intrapreneurial mindset.
- Manage external vendors, including the law firm and accounting firm, to complete regulatory compliance reporting.
- Act as representative of NCTF at industry conferences and networking events.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Management, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, or another relevant field required. MBA preferred.
- 5+ years in the investment industry required, venture capital highly preferred.
- 5+ years in management or experience leading a team required.
- 3+ years of experience with financial modeling and valuation required.
- Experience interacting with multiple diverse groups from a variety of ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds is required.
- Experience executing deals with high-net-worth individuals.
- Strong project execution skills to manage complex and multifaceted ventures resulting in measurable successes.
- Experience working with a high-performance, collaborative, and constructive peer group.
- Demonstrated results and proven experience negotiating mutually beneficial agreements.
- Creative self-starter with strong analytical skills and an attention to details.
- Master communicator and media savvy.
If interested, please apply here.