Orion Resource Partners
Orion Resource Partners (“Orion”) is a global alternative investment management firm with approximately $8.0 billion under management, specializing in acquiring, developing and monetizing assets in base and precious metals and minerals, many of which are leveraged to the global push to decarbonize.
Recognizing the generational investment opportunity for mining and other heavy industries to enable global decarbonization, Orion’s platform, Orion Industrial Ventures (“OIV”), will invest in and scale emerging technology companies to provide the minerals and materials and other industrial solutions required for sustainable global growth. We are looking for creative thinkers and astute investors seeking to make a difference by bringing change to a historically technophobic part of the economy and, in doing so, enable global decarbonization.
role & responsibilities
- A senior member of the OIV deal team, with broad responsibilities across investment and operational matters, including deal sourcing, building and managing portfolio companies and realizing attractive exit opportunities. This person will make investment decisions for the firm alongside other senior team members;
- Leading technical due diligence on new investment opportunities, managing an internal and external technical team to help drive target investments from screening to term sheet negotiation and successful execution;
- Leveraging your deep technical and/or commercial acumen identifying attractive emerging investment thematics and assessing applicable technologies for potential investment within those thematics;
- Working with portfolio companies through shareholder and board engagement and monitoring performance to ensure our portfolio companies receive all required support to scale their businesses and that OIV’s financial return and strategic objectives are achieved;
- Supporting the development and negotiation of strong exits for our portfolio companies;
- Actively engaging with and preparing presentations for limited partners, providing industry insight and leadership as well as supporting the firm’s fundraising efforts, participating in annual general meetings, and fostering relationships with potential future limited partners;
- Potentially representing Orion as a thought leader at industry conferences and media;
- Helping manage and mentor more junior team members in their own professional development as investment professionals; and
- More generally contributing to the development and growth of the OIV team and enhancing the culture, improving the firm’s effectiveness in all areas, and attracting new diverse talent.
- Proven interest and depth of knowledge in industrial processes and technologies, including from a decarbonization perspective;
- Investment experience and track record within the early- to mid-stage climate technology, venture capital space, with responsibilities spanning from sourcing through to exiting investments, including deal analysis, due diligence, documentation, portfolio company management and ultimate monetization;
- Deep understanding of several sub-sectors within these spaces and having shown an ability to identify key technical challenges and opportunities with new technologies. This person ideally has a scientific or technical educational background;
- A developed network of investors, start-ups, corporates, academia and/or other relevant players in industrial decarbonization and/or the broader climate technology ecosystem which can be leveraged to source high-quality, proprietary deal flow;
- Experience sitting on startup company boards, sitting on panels, judging startup competitions, or mentoring startups in the climate tech/decarbonization space;
- Experience managing and leading highly talented and capable teams, including developing and attracting the most sought-after venture team members;
- Highly entrepreneurial with developed analytical skills and ability to set strategy, define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; attention to detail is critical;
- Exceptional judgment, decision making and negotiating skills;
- Collaborative, team builder, reliable, proactive teammate with high emotional intelligence;
- High integrity with a strong reputation as an honest, transparent, diligent, and trustworthy person; and
- A driven professional who is at an inflection point in their career, and has the hunger and entrepreneurial flare to join us in building a OIV into an investment platform capable of delivering the industrial giants of the decades ahead.
- Should it be of interest, we would be delighted to review your application. Please send your CV and any other details you believe are relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for this role will be open until March 15, 2023.