The eBay Ventures team is a newly formed corporate venturing function at eBay with the mission to innovate for the future, shaping eBay’s reputation as an innovator in the market and community, and helping stay at the forefront of emerging trends and innovations.
eBay Ventures invests in the best start-ups and their teams in areas adjacent to eBay core, where eBay is uniquely positioned to bring 26 years of eCommerce experience to help the innovative entrepreneurs.
We work very closely with Product, Technology, and regional business teams to ensure the corporate strategy is translated into relevant venture investment approach. The result of our work would be through new sources of value and relevance to our buyers and sellers, expansion and diversification of our business, including diversification of customer base, and competitive advantage in the markets we serve.
The opportunity: Principal at eBay Ventures (San Jose)
Reporting to the Senior Director of eBay Ventures, the Principal of eBay Ventures is responsible for supporting in delivery of eBay’s Venture investments program.
This person will be having an active role in identifying, sourcing, evaluating and selecting, as well as managing investments for eBay Ventures, with focus on North American based companies and financial investors. This would include active participation in networking events. In addition, one of the critical responsibilities of this person would be to support in driving commercialization opportunities between portfolio companies and eBay.
This role will work closely with eBay Strategy and CVC leaders to implement investments in private companies in targeted areas. It will also work in close collaboration with external partners as well as key leaders at eBay.
- Scout and screen an adequate number of investment opportunities, with main focus on exciting potential for eBay
- Manage an efficient evaluation and tracking process, including outside-in assessment, due diligence and financial modelling – where required supported by the legal and other eBay teams
- Identify commercialization opportunities early on working and aligning with relevant eBay partners
- Create all necessary materials/memos for investment consideration, review, and governance, incl. all necessary documents for the Investment Committee to make an investment decision
- Help prepare updates to executives and key team members on the overall health of the portfolio
- Help manage relationship with eBay Ventures partners, including financial investors like VC funds, PE
- Represent eBay ventures at events and within the entrepreneurs’ ecosystem; Developing content and supporting in hosting events and meet-ups
- Support portfolio companies to help turn them into exceptional successes, including support in driving commercialization opportunities
- Maintain screening and venture pipeline management tools, help coordinate innovation measures between internal and external partners, and promote collaborations between Ventures portfolio and eBay
- MBA or other advanced degree from a top tier university
- 10+ years of professional experience, incl. 5+ years of experience in e-commerce, investments, venture capital or PE; Experience as a start-up founder as a benefit
- Good network in the start-up world and preferably also in the venture capital scene is a benefit
- Self-starter with a bias for action, speed, and results
- Strong ability to develop a strong point of view combined with the openness to evolving that view based on new data
- Great teammate with strong analytical and critical thinking; have a sense of initiative and autonomy as well as high level of commitment
- Well-versed in exciting e-commerce and technology trends and business models, preferably those in distributed commerce and re-commerce, AI, communities, next-gen financial services
- Strong interpersonal as well as collaboration skills and ability to create new connections
- Passion for and a solid understanding of technology and business models
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/