Citi Ventures (“CV”) focuses on identifying and investing in entrepreneurs who will help define the future of financial services. CV seeks to invest in distinctive fintech startups and to be a value-added investor by identifying opportunities for the startup to engage with Citi and/or Citi’s clients which may help the startup refine its products and roadmaps and/or enter into commercial relationships. Through its engagement with distinctive startups, CV seeks to help Citi and its clients to stay at the cutting edge of innovation as well as to generate outsized returns.
The CV team is seeking a highly motivated individual to (a) develop investment theses, (b) source and execute investments in distinctive fintech startups, (c) monitor and support portfolio companies, and (d) drive commercializations. The role is in San Francisco.
Position Scope & Responsibilities:
- Develop investment theses
- Develop investment theses leveraging internal and external signals: (i) engage with Citi colleagues and clients to understand their strategic priorities and roadmaps; (ii) conduct market research on emerging industry trends, deal flow, and specific startups; (iii) network with VCs and startup founders; (iv) organize and attend venture capital and startup ecosystem events
- Prepare presentations on relevant industry trends and organize domain sessions and startup workshops for Citi colleagues and clients
- Source and execute investments in distinctive fintech startups
- Source, screen, and track dealflow proactively (research-based targeted outreach) and reactively (intros from the candidate’s, CV’s and Citi’s networks)
- Conduct due diligence on potential investments in collaboration with deal leads
- Create investment decks, models, and deal memos
- Own the deal approval governance process
- Monitor and support portfolio companies
- Support the post-investment portfolio monitoring process
- Help portfolio companies align product roadmaps with key industry challenges
- Drive commercializations
- Introduce existing and prospective portfolio companies to Citi colleagues and clients for commercialization purposes
- Help navigate Citi with periodic check-ins and/back channeling
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience of tech/fintech-focused venture investing at a venture capital/growth equity firm or in a corporate venture investing group; ideally based in SF/Silicon Valley (or alternatively elsewhere in the US)
- Previous experience in Technology/FIG-focused investment banking or strategy consulting is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from a top college or university, preferably in Economics, Engineering, or other analytical disciplines
- Drive and ability to collaborate in teams and work independently
- Ability to articulate and debate opinions on potential investments
- Ability to navigate a large financial services organization and to engage executives from Citi and clients
- Ability to supervise, mentor, manage and develop talent
Job Family Group:
Project and Program Management
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the “EEO is the Law” poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.