Shell Ventures (SV) is Shell’s corporate venture capital arm with a global portfolio of more than 100 investments, primarily in the renewable energy, mobility/transport, climate tech and digital/IT domains. Shell Ventures acts as the ‘tip of the spear’ to Shell Group by providing it access to new technologies and business models which accelerate the energy transition and support the group’s ambition to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050. Besides emissions from our own operation, this includes emissions from the energy products Shell sells to its customers. Remaining emissions will be captured and stored using CCUS technologies or balancing them with offsets through nature-based solutions. Shell Ventures is on a mission to find such solutions and get them implemented in Shell and with our customers and suppliers.
What is the role?
Shell Ventures has significantly grown its mandate, we are recruiting a seasoned Partner to lead our San Francisco team and become a member of SV’s global leadership team. This is an exciting role for a highly experienced venture investment professional to lead our efforts in the core VC ecosystem of the world, responsible for 25-30% of Shell Ventures’ global dealflow. Your primary responsibility is to direct our investment activities on the US West Coast in relevant start- and scale-ups in SV’s core domains. , building upon the strong foundation already created by the team in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is also an end-to-end senior investment role from origination to execution to post-investment monitoring and implementation as part of the Board of Directors.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Shell Ventures leadership team and the Investment Committee, bringing your considerable experience outside Shell into the mix;
- Lead the activities of SV on the US West Coast, including managing (and expanding) the current team of five investment professionals;
- Finetune and redefine SV’s venturing strategy for the SF team, building upon the current portfolio and the many lessons learnt;
- Through your extensive network, source investment opportunities that have the potential to truly transform the energy, mobility and/or carbon markets;
- Lead the execution and post-investment management of the most ground-breaking and relevant deals for SV in the region;
- Act as a trusted investor-‘advisor’ to the CEO and management team in your role as a Board Director by guiding and helping portfolio companies be successful throughout the various stages of their growth;
- Support post-close management of investments (and eventual sale, IPO or SPAC divestment) and contribute to regular performance reviews of portfolio companies;
- Support more complex distress cases, where an intervention by the board and/or its investors is required to rescue the company, or enable its orderly wind-down.
- Validate, structure and support the implementation of appropriate cooperation opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, technology licensing, pilot projects, JVs) that can accelerate the deployment of technologies, products or services in Shell operations, in close collaboration with SV’s implementation team;
- Position and represent SV as a highly trusted, long-term investment partner for world-class start-ups and leading VCs;
- As one of the most senior representatives of the company in the area, be “the face of Shell Ventures and Shell Group” in the Bay area and a credible and compelling spokesperson for SV and Shell by speaking at conferences, authoring thought-leadership pieces, hosting events, engaging with media, contribute to blog and podcasts, etc.
- Contribute to the creation of insightful industry and sector investment theses through analysis, collaboration with Shell business units, and engagements with external parties;
- Cultivate a close working relationship with specific business stakeholders to ensure alignment of strategy, sharing of insights and ongoing relevance to business groups;
- Develop and leverage your internal Shell network to source opportunities externally, validate strategic relevance of investments, and inform Shell Group’s technology and business innovation strategy;
What we need from you
Inspiring leader to our talented and very resourceful team in the San Francisco Bay Area. Building on a common purpose and Shell Ventures shared values, our Partner and Hub lead will bring together and lead an inspiring mission for Shell Ventures in the Bay area, further motivating the team to excel and support their professional advancement.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 20 years of professional experience with at least a 10-year track record of success in Venture Capital in the Energy, Mobility, Environmental or IT & Digital space;
- Access to a high-quality, diverse and long-formed professional network of successful founders and top-tier VCs in the SF area providing relevant deal-flow from the start;
- Expert knowledge of all aspects of VC dealmaking: from due diligence to deal structuring, negotiating key terms, legal documentation and post-close deal management, including exits via public markets, mergers or acquisitions;
- Broad experience as a Board Director at various companies in the start-up or scale-up phase, having dealt with a wide range of events such as strategy and business model changes, (debt) restructurings, founder/management changes, down-rounds, litigation processes, M&A as an acquiror including post-deal integration, M&A as the target, IPOs, SPACs, chapter 11 filings, failed exits, IP monetisation, wind-downs – listed company Board experience is a plus;
- Natural and ‘low-ego’ leader with curiosity, creativity and high degree of critical thinking;
- Strong commercial acumen and experience in leading, closing and exiting investments;
- Demonstrable expertise in, and passion for, technology, innovation and/ or business model analysis and assessment – early-career professional experience in a commercial, technical or operational role in the Energy, Mobility or IT industry is a plus;
- Deep understanding of how technology or new business models unlock new opportunities;
- ‘Executive presence’ and the ability to represent SV in public forums;
- Strong communicator with ability to build and maintain relationships within a complex, global corporation;
- Demonstrable experience in leading, developing, coaching and influencing senior leaders to deliver outstanding results;
- Courage, resilience and interpersonal skills to push back and drive forward. A healthy level of resilience to the organizational complexities that come with large, global parent companies.;
- A genuine belief in the value of diversity and a desire to challenge traditional ways of thinking and working in order to enhance value;
- A true “team player” with a collaborative attitude and an interest in developing talent; and
- Provide strategic insights back to Shell Group to help influence group strategy and provide steer on non-organic growth opportunities for Shell group.
- Motivate, coach and mentor a talented team of VC professionals who are part of a global organization undergoing its most pivotal transformation in its 115 year history. Help them to stay on mission and not get distracted by change happening elsewhere in the organization. Passion to contribute towards team professionalization without losing sight of value delivery;
- Make investment decisions balancing value from i) financial returns, ii) new business growth opportunity, iii) strategic insights and iv) technology transfer potential,;
- Develop opportunities and make investment decisions under conditions of high ambiguity, speed and pressure;
- Drive deals forward and be honest and explicit about risks and opportunities associated with this uncertainty;
- Have an excellent nose for ‘good deals’ and a proven ability to quickly down-select the best investment opportunities for Shell from a large pool of opportunities;
- Take accountability for the investments you are involved in, directly or indirectly :in Shell Ventures there is no hiding from ‘bad’ investments, or ‘this wasn’t my deal; I never liked it’);
- Provide both challenge and support to others in the team (eg in our Investment Committee discussions), portfolio company representatives and external parties;
- Professionally manage internal and external stakeholders during the investment cycle, having an ability to deploy a variety of influencing styles to obtain collaboration and commitment;
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.