In-Q-Tel (IQT) is a not-for-profit that serves and powers the national security interests of the U.S. and its allies, providing the most sophisticated source of strategic technical knowledge, insights, and capabilities. IQT powers its partners ahead of the curve through cutting-edge research, strategic investments, exploration and applied research, and acceleration of capabilities
IQT understands that life is more than just work. We offer a wide variety of benefits designed to support the whole person including but not limited to:
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 401k Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Tuition & Professional Development Assistance
- Student Loan Repayment & College Savings
- Parental Leave
- Family Forming Support
- Child/Elder Care Support
- Gym Stipend
- Wellness Perks
- Telework & Flexible Schedule
Visit our website to learn more.
Partners are responsible for developing In-Q-Tel’s portfolio. Specifically, Partners are expected to identify and target companies of interest to In-Q-Tel and our Intelligence Community Partners, helping to negotiate complex equity and technology delivery transactions, provide ongoing support to In-Q-Tel portfolio companies and coordinate research efforts.
The Partner will represent IQT as a Board of Directors observer on targeted investments and assist these companies in understanding the IQT model, our Intelligence Community Partners, executing our strategic objectives, and assisting portfolio companies to gain the most value out of the In-Q-Tel relationship.
The Partner will take ownership of and drive strategies and activities related to leading specific market research in targeted technology sectors with an emphasis on delivering high quality presentations and/or reports resulting from this research.
The ideal candidate will bring an unmatched network and enthusiasm for; contributing to IQT’s mission, working with technology focused startups, and demonstrating world-class rigor in strategy, analysis and a bias towards output. The candidate would ideally be a post-MBA or individual with at least 10 years experience leading VC investments and serving on company boards in engineering biology, biotechnology, genomics, synthetic biology, biological big data, biological manufacturing and/or AI for biology.
IQT’s B.Next practice pursues early stage (and, selectively, growth stage) investment opportunities across the entire engineering biology spectrum including platform technologies, applications of engineering biology, and companies at the intersection of engineering biology and other major industries. We engage with startup companies and venture capital partners to accelerate advances to strengthen economic and national security and promote technological solutions to address common global threats.
Driving specific market research projects
- Conduct market research on a specific VC backed global or domestic tech sectors
- Connect with and document prospective companies within domestic and global sectors
- Network with and talk to VC’s that invest in this target sector, sharing those findings and identified companies
- Drive the efforts to synthesizing research and findings into high quality and clear presentations and or/reports
- Build class-leading expertise in assigned technology areas through a rigorous effort of research and outreach to academics, CVC’s, entrepreneurs, and investors
Deal Sourcing & Relationship Management
- Develop and nurture a strong network of Senior relationships with top-tier venture capitalists to generate high quality and consistent deal flow for In-Q-Tel
- Constantly promote the In-Q-Tel brand within the venture, academic, and startup communities as a high-quality venture capital investor and strategic partner
- Become known in the entrepreneurial, VC and CVC communities as a leader in their respective technology focus area
- Maintain broad awareness of venture industry and technology market trends, challenges and opportunities
- Become visible and active in presenting In-Q-Tel and our strategy at appropriate industry and/or customer meetings/events
Deal Evaluation & Due Diligence
- Evaluate companies to identify high quality investments from both a financial and customer impact perspective.
- Effectively and appropriately weigh/balance strategic vs financial risk and impact – i.e. being able to “make the right call” to move forward or not move forward as appropriate and not just moving every deal forward.
- Lead and manage all aspects of deals including sourcing, negotiating, structuring, and executing
- Negotiate complex financial terms involving equity, technology licensing, and development funding to maximize total overall value and return for In-Q-Tel and our partners
- Manage the activities of legal, finance, technology and administrative resources towards high quality deal preparation and timely execution
- Drive and deliver high quality investment committee documents and presentations
- Work well with technical and program management counterparts
Portfolio Company Strategy & Support
- Serve as active, contributing advisors to portfolio company CEOs and serve as observers of the Boards of Directors over the multi-year lifetime of these relationships
- Ensure that In-Q-Tel’s requirements are understood, and our interests are protected
- Serve as primary champion and advocate of portfolio companies internally at In-Q-Tel, across the customers we support, and within the broader government community
- Serve as the primary In-Q-Tel representative in press and PR activities relating to portfolio companies
- Represent the Investment Team within the In-Q-Tel organization
- Build and sustain relationships across other In-Q-Tel groups, based on shared mission objectives and mutual respect
- Build and develop trusted relationships with In-Q-Tel’s Intelligence Community partner base to better understand our Partners’ technology needs
- The Partner assists in managing the workload and professional development of Principals and Associates
- Support the development and presentation of investment and market strategies in your targeted focus areas
- Present these strategies to In-Q-Tel Intelligence Community partners
- The Partner position requires significant investment experience and a broad breadth of business experience
- Partner candidates should have at least ten (10) years of experience leading venture capital investments in engineering biology, biotechnology, genomics, synthetic biology, biological big data, biological manufacturing and/or AI for biology.
- Partner candidates should have 10+ years of experience in a variety of business disciplines such as venture capital, sales, marketing, business development, Investment banking, and/or management consulting.
- Partners must be strong, experienced negotiators who are comfortable negotiating high-value transactions with minimal oversight
- Specifically, Partners should have experience negotiating equity investments and have a working knowledge how venture capital agreements and transactions are structured
- Candidate should have a deep and broad network in the technical, VC and/or entrepreneurial sectors we target
- Partner should have prior experience as a member of VC backed Board of Directors
- Relevant work experience in one of In-Q-Tel’s technology focus areas is required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.