Bioluminescence Ventures was created by biomedical researchers to fund/support fellow biomedical researchers. Patient impact is our guiding light, and we see this light radiating from exceptional translational founders.
The firm has $550M+ in AUM, offices in San Francisco and Cambridge (MA), and a growing portfolio of exceptional therapeutics companies.
By technology, we focus on (1) Therapeutics Platforms, (2) Applied Biology Platforms, and (3) Computational Biology Platforms. By therapeutic area, we focus on Oncology, Immunology, Neuroscience, and Genetic Diseases.
By stage, we primarily focus on Series A and Series B rounds – where we lead whenever possible. By providing long-term, multidisciplinary support to our founders (both on and off the Board), we aim to maximize their downstream impact on patients. We aim to make their light shine brighter.
We are building a culture that values people. Internally, we are building a flat organization that fosters individual career growth and authentic leadership. Candidates must be highly-motivated self-starters, results-driven collaborators, and intellectually-curious autodidacts. We are also building a family-friendly culture. Externally, we continue to earn our reputation as a trusted, value-add investor to our founders.
Candidates must share our North Star of patient impact. For the Investment Partner position, candidates must have either prior biotech (therapeutics) venture investing experience (ideal) or deep biopharmaceutical BD transactions lead experience with an extensive deal sheet.
● Full-Stack Biotech Investor: Overall, we are looking for candidates who are proven, end-to-end biotech investors or have the right combination of skills/experience (see below) to quickly evolve into senior biotech venture investors.
● Degrees: Top-tier PhD in Biomedical Sciences and/or MD degree required. Top-tier MBA will be highly-valued in addition.
● Biomedical / Translational Research Experience: Required.
● Biotech Startup Operating Experience: Not required but highly-valued.
● Investment Experience: Prior biotechnology (therapeutics) venture investing experience strongly preferred. Prior board experience strongly preferred. Candidates must demonstrate strong biotech VC network in San Francisco for deal sourcing. Candidates must demonstrate an extensive track-record of leading deals through due diligence, deal structuring, deal negotiation, and deal execution.
● Analytics & Data-Driven Decision-Making Experience: Track-record of preparing scientific and/or financial analyses recommending business decisions required.
● Finance Experience: Investment Partner will be required to oversee the assumptions and modeling work of Finance Partners.
● Situational Awareness: Strong understanding of the biotechnology industry (e.g., venture capital ecosystem, startup ecosystem, areas of emerging innovation, areas of maturing innovation, trends in business development and M&A transactions) and commensurate professional network required.
● Communication Skills: Track-record must demonstrate ability to communicate science at varying depths, across different audiences.
● Strong Work Ethic and Entrepreneurial Drive: Track-record must demonstrate the ability to work in fast-paced and less structured environments, sprint with the team during busy times, and autonomously propose/own initiatives (e.g., new investment areas, operational/process improvements) during downtimes.
● Leading Deals: Investment Partners will be expected to lead deals end-to-end – including deal sourcing/evaluation, due diligence, deal structuring, negotiations, investment memo drafting, Investment Committee review, deal closing, and post-investment portco management (board director / observer). The majority of time will be dedicated to deal sourcing / diligence / execution.
● Thought Leadership: Investment Partners will be expected to be BLV thought-leaders – tracking key trends, VC ecosystem investments, startup ecosystem developments, and emerging innovation in coverage areas. Investment Partners will be expected to author articles (working with the BLV Marketing Platform), speak at major conferences, and moderate speaker panels at major conferences from time to time.
● Ecosystem Representation: Team (including Investment Partners) will be expected to collectively cover attendance at major industry conferences throughout the year. Team will be expected to collectively expand/manage the firm’s networks of startups, founders, venture co-investors, and biopharma executives.
Career Development and Growth
● Compensation: Highly competitive base salary, bonus, and carry to be provided based on qualifications and prior experience.
● Long-Term Opportunity: Opportunity for continued career development and promotion beyond 2 – 3 years. Commitment to supporting career beyond the firm.
● Network: Investment Partners will continue to expand their professional networks across biotech startup and venture capital ecosystems, as the firm continues to co-invest with top-tier VCs.
● Deal Sheet: Firm expects to execute a high volume of deals per year relative to the team size. Investment Partners will have the opportunity to rapidly grow their venture deal sheets.
● Board Experience: Investment Partners should expect to take on board director / observer seats.
● Personal Brand: Investment Partners will have the opportunity to work with the BLV Marketing Platform to build their personal brand as thought-leaders over time.