If you thrive working in a team environment that emphasizes performance, continuous collaboration, celebrating diverse voices and you are brave enough to be a lifelong learner, Venture Guides is the ideal work environment for you. Come join us!
Venture Guides’ mission is to produce top investment returns by re-thinking venture capital in three fundamental ways. First, we teach a unique data-driven investing methodology combined with strong domain experience to ensure our risk-framing is comprehensive. Second, we invest with a team-based approach (not cowboys) to holistically identify, underwrite, and advise exceptional founders. Third, our GP co-invest is 10x the industry norm, because we believe that great investors and operators need to think and act like owners.
We believe strongly in our firms’ founding principles: performance, transparency, and trust. Teamwork requires clear performance criteria, transparent sharing of data, and trust in one another – which begins by trusting oneself. When actively seeking risk, we will make mistakes. We view mistakes, as well as success, as opportunities for the team to learn and improve.
- Sourcing investment opportunities
- Obtaining meetings with founders
- Tracking specific industry leaders, sector experts
- Performing high-quality primary research to develop new insights and fact-based, opinionated views on markets to target for investment.
- Track and report on deal flow
- Due diligence for investing opportunities
- Evaluating potential market size
- Researching business/industry, financial analysis, modeling and deal structuring
- Conducting customer calls to identify customer pain and strategy for solution
- Researching and diagraming competitive landscape
- Documenting investment team meeting, prepare deck for Investment Committee
- Aiding portfolio companies – Working in a strategic capacity with Ventures Guides’ existing portfolio companies as needed
Candidates should have 2-5 years of prior work experience with an emphasis on one, or a combination of, the following:
- +1-2 year of full-time work experience at a top-tier strategy consulting firm or equivalent experience
- +1-2 year of full-time work experience in sales, strategy, business development, partnerships or corporate development ideally at a startup where you have demonstrated impact and ability to solve problems
- Any work experience that demonstrates the drive, skills and resilience required in a demanding, entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment.
Qualified candidates likely also meet the following criteria:
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Self-starter with superior work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity, including demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision
- Highly analytical with an interest in finding data, and sifting through, and identifying trends within, large volumes of data
- Basic understanding of financial analysis, modeling and accounting
- Undergraduate degree from a top institution, and/or a demonstrated track record of both academic and professional success
- Desire to be part of a highly collaborative team, where we all strive to win together
- Personal bravery and belief in one’s self to be able to speak up, offer ideas, take initiative, use creativity and logic to problem solve
- Strategic thinker, with an ability to frame and sell opportunities
Interest and experience in infrastructure software or general SaaS software – is highly preferred. Experience in data science and engineering, software tooling including SQL and development tools is additive but not mandatory.
As an equal opportunity employer, Venture Guides ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Venture Guides, our approach to compensation is the same across the firm, from our Managing Director to all our Associate Investors and it aligns with our principals of performance, transparency and trust. Our base salary is designed to pay your comfortable living expenses. To accumulate capital, every employee will be granted a portion of carry. We intentionally tie compensation to carry in order to align employees across our team, our companies and our investors and incent everyone to earn more by creating greater value. The base salary range for this position is market competitive and includes carry. We pay all our employees across every level fairly and equally, depending on, but not limited to, skill sets, difficulty of role, skills and experience, certifications, and education. Further details on salary and carry will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process, depending on the qualifications they bring to the job.