StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $570 billion of total capital allocations, including $134 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone Venture Capital is one of the largest venture capital investment firms in the world, currently managing almost $15 billion in assets across fund, direct and secondary investment strategies. The team has over 80 employees with offices in Baltimore, London, LaJolla and Palo Alto. We actively invest in venture capital partnerships, expansion stage venture/growth equity direct investments and secondary market positions through its fund products.
Summer Associate will be responsible for supporting the activities of the investment team in analyzing, monitoring and researching both potential and existing fund and direct investments. Education is also a significant component of the program, as Summer Associates will gain insight into the broader venture capital ecosystem through data-driven research projects, hands-on analysis of prospective investments, and participation in a mentor program with more senior members of the investment team.
As a core member of our tight-knit investment team, you will take part in the full spectrum of venture capital investing, including but not limited to:
- Assisting with the sourcing and evaluation of potential venture funds, expansion stage start-up and secondary investment opportunities, and making recommendations to the Partnership
- Monitoring a sub-set of the existing StepStone Group fund and company portfolio, reporting to the investment team on progress and projections, and preparing quarterly reports for our investors
- Performing broad scale industry research and analysis to learn about and understand industry landscapes within our focus areas, and advising the broader investment team accordingly
- Leading a team of analysts, maintaining responsibility for their workflow
- Ad hoc projects as assigned
Desired Skills And Experience
We are looking for individuals who have a passion for venture. Most importantly, ideal candidates should display strong attention to detail, a highly professional manner and a dedication to maintaining the Firm’s existing relationships within the venture capital community.
Specific qualifications for the Associate position include:
- Currently enrolled in a full-time MBA program
- 3-5 years working in venture capital, private equity, finance, engineering, start-up operations, consulting or similar industry preferred, but not necessary
- An appreciation for our platform approach and the benefits it can provide our investors
- A willingness to support all areas of our business, including our fund and direct investment strategies, both on a primary and secondary basis
- Hard working self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset who excels with little direction
- People-first, with a personable and humble demeanor interested in supporting others
- An executive presence with the confidence to state your opinion and advocate for it
- Growth mindset and ability to project into the future to consider new technologies and how they may or may not be adopted by consumers and businesses
Please note that this is a summer position for MBA students with the potential to become a full-time Associate after graduation, May 2024.
Working out of 24 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.