We are a long-term concentrated growth investment manager based in Arlington, Virginia (or greater Washington, D.C. area). We invest globally across the life cycle of high-quality innovative businesses, ranging from early-stage private to leading public companies. Our investment philosophy centers around our six criteria based on our founding principles (detailed on our websites: http://www.sandscapital.com and https://sandscapitalventures.com/). Our strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process to manage more than $43.5 billion in client assets as of September 30, 2022.
Identified below are Core Values the firm holds in high regard and believes are critical for high-performing teams at Sands Capital:
- Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
- Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
- Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
About the Global Ventures Internship Role:
The Global Ventures (“GV”) strategy at Sands Capital invests in early-stage startups (Seed through Series B) in dynamic, high-growth markets like artificial intelligence/machine learning, cybersecurity, healthcare technology, and digital life. This internship position will support the GV investment team across all aspects of the venture investing process. Examples include thesis development, market research, identification of potential investment opportunities within our sector focus areas, and investment due diligence. This individual will be expected to be a self-starter with a deep interest in technology, startups, and venture capital.
This role is expected to work from our Arlington, VA office on a hybrid schedule at a minimum of two days per week in office or as directed, depending on team needs. Please know that the hybrid schedule is subject to change, as directed by our Executive Management Team, at any time.
- Developing an understanding of GV’s core focus areas (Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, Digital Life, Healthcare Technology) through industry resources including blogs, articles, podcasts, webinars, and industry reports;
- Sourcing potential investment opportunities that fall within the GV sector and stage focus;
- Providing diligence support to the GV Investment Team on active investment opportunities. This includes aspects such as reviewing pitch decks and other materials provided in the data room, attending calls with industry experts, conducting market sizing analysis, and reviewing financial models/projections;
- Developing an investment thesis during the internship on a topic/subject related to our industry focus areas; and
- Executing on other administrative or professional responsibilities, as needed; and
- Exhibiting behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s mission, values, and culture.
Skills and Qualifications:
- MBA candidates preferred;
- Demonstrated interest in venture capital and emerging technology trends;
- Strong communication skills;
- A genuine and demonstrable interest in business analysis and investment research;
- Proficiency in financial statement analysis;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional work ethic and ability to complete assignments on time with limited supervision;
- Be able to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team, while also being able to work independently with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy; and
- Self-starter and someone who operates well in a fast-moving, dynamic environment.
Values for Success at Sands Capital:
- Focus: Identify and concentrate on “what matters”
- Long-Term Perspective: Appreciate that time allows sound decisions to demonstrate their worth. Avoid short-term thinking
- Independent Thinking: Have the courage to develop and articulate your own convictions. Debate others openly and honestly
- Teamwork: Collaborate to gather facts, develop perspective, build conviction, and support timely decision-making
- Positive “Can-Do” Attitude: Demonstrate a willingness to tackle any task
- Graciousness: Reflect kindness and courtesy at all times
- Balance: Enjoy your work while balancing professional activities with interests beyond the firm
- Meritocracy: Know that talent and achievement will drive your success at Sands Capital
How to Apply:
To be considered, candidates must submit a resume that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position. If you wish to apply for this position, please do so via Sands Capital Management’s Careers page at http://sandscapital.com/careers/.