Energy Capital Ventures
Energy Capital Ventures is the only early-stage venture capital fund focused on the ESG imperatives and digital transformation of the natural gas industry. In particular, ECV focuses on the strategic innovation needs of natural gas local distribution companies (LDCs) as they deal with massive paradigm shifts in their industry. The fund has received an ESG designation from the State of California. ECV’s model is based on a highly integrated approach with its core gas-oriented utility company LPs. The fund is designed to be the innovation platform for the natural gas industry and help reset the narrative on the importance of the LDC industry in the country achieving net-zero emissions (E) as well as the social (S) policies on energy.
ECV is led by a team of top-performing VCs and career long investment bankers from the utility industry. The Firm concentrates on leading Seed-Series A investments focused on the decarbonization and digital transformation of the Natural Gas Industry. It is expected that 70% of the investment portfolio will be in North America, with an ability to invest up to 30% Internationally. At least 75% of investments will meet defined gas LDC strategic investment parameters and 25% of investments to include broader utility/energy technology investments that have ancillary benefits to gas LDC’s.
- Decarbonization – capture, utilize, sequester
- Renewable natural gas
- Gas infrastructure/ Resilience/ Virtual pipelines
- ESG Accounting/ Validation
- Climate technology
- Energy efficiency/ Enabled consumer/ Heat pumps
- Fuel switching in buildings
- Methane capture/ Management/ Leak detection
- Workforce/ Industrial safety
- AI/ ML/ IoT/ Process automation
- Risk management/ Cyber/ Regulatory compliance
About the Role
We are looking for interns to assist in the following business areas, Market Research, Investment Due Diligence, Firm Operations, and Platform Development. The role will be for a minimum
of 6 months to a year working 15 to 20 hours per week. Please apply if your interests and qualifications align with 1 or more of the roles below or 1 or more of the investment themes above. Responsibilities are not limited to those listed below:
- Market Research: Perform due diligence and primary market research within an assigned thematic area; prepare industry outlook reports; interpret emerging industry trends.
- Investments Due Diligence: Conducting analysis of new investment opportunities through the building of financial models, competitor analysis, market research, financial statement analysis, and technological validation.
- Firm Operations: Assist team members with various firm operations including administrative tasks, project management, standardizing processes, and ad hoc operational improvements.
- Platform Development: Represent and drive the ECV Strategic Innovation platform through content creation, event planning, LP engagement, social media strategy, and CRM maintenance.
- Deliverables: Each intern will be expected to produce 1-2 blog post articles on topics relevant to their internship focus and deliver 1 long form presentation covering their research.
Location: Chicago, IL or Remote
- College degree in finance, economics, engineering, math, science, marketing
- Preferred but not required: You are pursuing or have completed a Master’s in Business Administration
- Preferred but not required: 2-3 years of experience in Utility, Corporate Venture Capital, Consulting, Engineering, Energy, or Supply Chain roles
- Minimum of 15-20 hours a week remote or in-person
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Workspace; Mailchimp and Web Flow experience a plus
- Ability to work independently through self-motivation, taking initiative, and exhibiting organization, planning, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills
- Interest in learning more about venture investing, early-stage businesses, decarbonization technologies, climate science, ESG topics, policy development
Please submit your resume and answers to the following questions:
Please indicate which of the roles interests you the most and why? Which of the ECV Investment themes excites you the most and why?