American Family Insurance
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R28878 Fall 2022- Venture Capital, Healthy Youth Development Intern (Remote) (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
We are currently looking for a student to work with the American Family Insurance Institute for Corporate and Social Impact who has prior experience with startups, entrepreneurship and/or venture capital as an intern beginning in summer or fall 2022.
Under the direction of a senior level manager, you will work on projects that support the AmFam Institute Fund goals and results. You will also complete tasks using both interpersonal and technical skills appropriate to the specific job assignment, while adapting to new or changing situations in a team environment.
The American Family Insurance Institute for Corporate and Social Impact is a venture capital firm and partner of choice for exceptional entrepreneurs who are building scalable, sustainable businesses in a long-term effort to close equity gaps in America. The Institute also recognizes that capacity building and supporting organizations and experts that have been working toward social causes are equally important in making a positive impact within our communities around the country.
As a venture capital (VC) intern you will:
- Contribute to thesis development through researching the healthy youth development focus area (see below) that includes mental/behavioral health and maternal health subsectors.
- Research and evaluate the market opportunities for startup investment in the healthy youth development focus area (see below).
- Learn more about the VC Deal Flow Process and eventually contribute to sourcing startups that align with the mission of the AmFam Institute
- Assist in the startup due diligence process through evaluating term sheets, writing investment memos, and talking directly with founders
- Work will be in the healthy youth development area though there may be crossover to the other focus areas:
- Resilient Communities: Looking at scalable social enterprises that increase access to clean energy, promote strong infrastructure, and build climate adaptation strategies for communities that face the most adverse climate impacts.
- Economic Opportunity: Exploring scalable social enterprises that reduce the footprint of the criminal justice system, increase access to capital, and train and place individuals on high-income, high-growth career pathways through workforce development.
- Healthy Youth Development: Looking at scalable social enterprises that support the multidimensionality of health and wellness for our youngest members of society.
- Equity in Education: Exploring scalable social enterprises that break the barriers to educational success across the lifespan.
- Must be in pursuit of a post-secondary degree or certificate during the semester of the internship.
- Pursuing post-secondary education in a related major to the internship.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic analytical skills.
- Basic knowledge and experience working within a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of developing and managing project work.
Additional Job Information:
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
To apply for this job please visit amfam.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.