Alpaca VC is seeking a spring intern to focus on real estate private equity and real estate venture capital. This is an exciting opportunity to work at the forefront of innovation in the sector via investment vehicles that drive software and technology adoption alongside underlying real estate assets and development projects. For a primer on technology-powered real estate, see our blog post “The Great PropCo Opportunity.” (For deeper reading, check out our PropCo Blog Series.) The ideal candidate is:
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree such as an MBA or a Master’s in Real Estate;
- Passionate about technology and innovation in the real estate industry;
- Experienced in the real estate industry, such as real estate private equity, development, or asset management; and
- Comfortable underwriting real estate investments. The majority of deals will require a traditional RE investor skillset to evaluate.
We like to be upfront and inform candidates that our program is time-consuming and intense. We recommend that you do not have any major extracurriculars outside of Alpaca. During the course of the internship, we anticipate evaluating 25-30 deals and closing 2-3 investments via our Next Gen Real Estate Fund (tech-driven real estate private equity fund).
Alpaca VC is a multistage venture capital firm based in New York. We believe that layering technology over daily life transforms how the real world works. So we invest in the people, products and processes that power commerce in the physical world. Together with founders, we kickstart real change with outsized impact.
Role & Scope
- 50% = new deal focused, calls w/ founders, leading diligence, conducting market research and underwriting, drafting investment memos, sitting in on our investment team meetings
- 20% = Field Study. You will be responsible for one PropCo field study, which will consist of developing a value-add tech stack for an individual real estate asset class.
- 15% = LP Fundraising/IR support. We are in the market with a new fund and from time to time will be given projects related to answering questions for prospective LPs and helping buildout IR materials.
- 15% = Ops support. Miscellaneous day-to-day fund operations as well as portfolio company support
We offer a dynamic and collaborative work environment, the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the real estate and VC industries, and limited compensation. There will also likely be an opportunity to extend your internship into the summer—in fact, we prefer it (assuming we both enjoy working together).