National Grid Partners
National Grid Partners is a venture capital firm and the utility industry’s first Silicon Valley-based corporate venture and innovation arm. NGP has put $400M to work in dozens of companies making the power grid safer, cleaner, and smarter. With seven exits in just four years and a 38.6% net IRR, they are being “spun out” and will become NextGrid Partners in 2023, raising a new $800M fund.
Their team combines 100 years of investing experience and 125 years of utility operations. By connecting these two worlds, they are accelerating the clean energy transition and are backed by some of the world’s largest investor-owned utilities and leading institutional investors. They are the only VC firm that has built an alliance of 100 global utilities to deploy startup technology globally. NGP’s unique heritage provides the access and know-how to help solve the energy industry’s challenges faster.
National Grid Partners is hiring a Director of Corporate Venture Capital. The position can be located in our San Francisco or Los Gatos, CA offices.
The Director will be a senior and experienced investment professional who has worked in all stages of venture capital investing, including experience in energy, critical infrastructure and enterprise sectors. This role will be responsible for sourcing deal flow from his/her network that will lead to compelling investments. The role will be responsible for building and managing a portfolio and realizing attractive exit opportunities that also benefit our strategic investors as well as benefit the members of our NextGrid Alliance.
The Director will work closely with other investment team members in driving all aspects of investments, including defining segments of interest, sourcing investment opportunities, performing due diligence, providing a detailed analysis in picking startups, closing and supporting investments for our investment portfolio.He/she will find, support, and develop seed, growth and expansion stage companies that support the strategic requirements of our strategic investors and members of our NextGrid Alliance.The Director should also increase our reputation and thought leadership around energy transition innovation by visibly participating across the venture capital and rapidly growing clean energy eco-system.
• Source, lead diligence, and complete investments that support our focus areas
• Build a pipeline of leading startups that fit with the strategic investment themes
• Validate the business opportunity, establish an investment case, and structure and negotiate terms for potential new investments
• Define investment strategies, then use those strategies to inform behaviors around sourcing, screening, and leading potential leading investments
• Work with, and support portfolio companies, including attending board meetings and monitoring performance to ensure returns and strategic objectives are achieved
• Maintain great relationships with LPs, the broader Energy community, and the NextGrid Partners Alliance
• 10+ years of investing in the Energy sector, with a 20% IRR, at a top-tier venture capital firm or major corporation venture capital group, with a deep understanding of all stages of the venture capital space.
• A deep understanding of the regulatory, technology, and business issues impacting the Energy industry and future trends, including internal and external influences.
• Proven experience from sourcing to exiting investments, including deal analysis, due diligence, reviewing and negotiating all documentation, serving as the deal interface, and driving deal processes to completion.
• Highly developed analytical skills with the ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data
• A strategic thinker who can see the big picture but also address shorter term more tactical issues.
• A solid mastery of financial modeling and analytical skills.
• Network and connectivity within the venture and entrepreneur ecosystem