We are an active, long-term investor in leading innovative businesses globally. Our approach combines analytical rigor and creative thinking to identify high-quality growth businesses that are creating the future. Through an integrated investment platform spanning venture capital, growth equity and public equity, we provide growth capital solutions to institutions and fund sponsors in more than 40 countries (detailed on our website www.sandscapital.com).
About the Role:
Sands Capital is seeking an Associate to join our Private Investments Global Innovation Fund (“GIF”) Team with a focus on the Technology Sector. This individual will support and assist our experienced team of Partners and other investment professionals to help evaluate new investments and monitor existing investments in the technology sector for our private investment strategy. The primary areas of focus include innovative companies in the software, internet, and financial technology spaces. This individual will primarily focus on growth-stage venture backed businesses but may also work on investments in public technology businesses.
The Associate is typically expected to work with the GIF Team for 2-4 years before returning to graduate school or leaving to pursue other opportunities. That said, as we grow our private investing business, opportunities for career growth may arise especially for high-performing candidates.
The role is expected to work from our San Francisco office on a hybrid schedule at a minimum of 3 days per week or as directed, depending on team needs.
The Associate is responsible for:
- Conducting qualitative and analytical research to support the investment due diligence process;
- Creating and maintaining financial models to evaluate prospective investments and to monitor existing portfolio company performance;
- Helping to guide portfolio companies on strategically important topics by conducting surveys, customer calls, and general industry research;
- Building an understanding of long-term technology industry trends and developing subject-matter expertise in subsectors of interest to the team;
- Building relationships with management teams and executives at companies and with investors at peer firms to generate investment ideas and deal flow;
- Executing on other professional responsibilities, as needed;
- Exhibiting behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s Mission, Values, and culture.
Required Skills, Qualifications, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university;
- A genuine and demonstrable passion for investing and technology;
- 1-4 years of experience analyzing companies and industries, including investment banking, venture capital, private equity, sell-side equity research, management consulting, and/or corporate development/strategy/finance (preferably at a technology company);
- Excellent relationship and networking skills;
- Exceptional work ethic and an ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner without direct supervision
- Be able to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team, while also being able to work independently with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Availability and willingness to work in-person in San Francisco, CA 3+ days per week.
Required Behavioral Characteristics:
- Having impeccable integrity;
- Exhibiting superior client service skills (to include both internal and external clients);
- Exhibiting strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic in a fast-paced, professional environment;
- Operating with a high degree of initiative, self-discipline, and motivation;
- Working effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- Assuming the best of others; and
- Being motivated by a job well-done.
Sands Capital’s Values:
Identified below are Values the firm holds in high regard and believes are critical for high-performing individuals and teams at Sands Capital:
- Integrity and Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
- Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
- Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
- Focus: Identify and concentrate on “what matters”
- Long-Term Perspective: Appreciate that time allows sound decisions to demonstrate their worth. Avoid short-term thinking
- Independent Thinking: Have the courage to develop and articulate your own convictions. Debate others openly and honestly
- Teamwork: Collaborate to gather facts, develop perspective, build conviction, and support timely decision-making
- Positive “Can-Do” Attitude: Demonstrate a willingness to tackle any task
- Graciousness: Reflect kindness and courtesy at all times
- Balance: Enjoy your work while balancing professional activities with interests beyond the firm
- Meritocracy: Know that talent and achievement will drive your success at Sands Capital